Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello and help me

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to the community, but I wish I knew about it 6 years ago when I got my 87 gl wagon, I probably would've saved enough money to have a newer Sub now.

The latest is it didn't pass smog (CA) but that's no suprise. What's odd is they told me my thermostatic air cleaner was missing, and it won't pass without it (of course, they couldn't tell me BEFORE the test)

Can someone direct me to where this should be, or better yet a diagram? It passed 2 years ago and I don't remember anything falling off since, except a hubcap.

Thanks in advance, and it's a pleasure to be in your company.

Me: 1987 GL wagon 4x4 1.8 non-turbo 5sp.

Wife: 1999 Forester L :headbang:

not sure what you are missing, but it may be the pipe from the y-pipe to the right side of the "snorkel" that points to the rear, from the underside, or it may be something in the flapper control

also to make a snorkel quickly, hook up flapper vac line to manifold, so it is open to hot air intake and put hot air intake under spair tire

I'm not sure of the term used there, but is sounds similar to why mine failed here. There is a diaphram controlled unit, activated by a vacuum line that sits on the end of the air cleaner, When the engine is cold, it shuts the gate at the front of the air cleaner, forcing heated air from the exhaust manifold into the air cleaner. After the engine warms up, the sensor deactivates the vacuum and the gate opens, allowing cold air through the front of the air cleaner. If the diaphram on the top of the air cleaner won't hold the vacuum, if it has sprung a leak, your car will fair that test.

• 2 months later...

Bishop is on the right track. the TAC refers to not only the air cleaner housuing with the vacume operated flapper but also to the flexible "preheater hose".

GD it is still considered an emissions item because it reduces emisions on cold start up. It helps get the car running at opperating temp sooner. Thats why some fuel injected cars have them as well. the "nazi emmisons idiots" have some logic to thier ways. Try studing hazmat regulations if you want to see conflicting stupidity. yes I have studied and worked with both and I will take the smog regulations any day.

Well - you do have a point there. I suppose it does serve both purposes - prevents icing of the carb, and gets the engine to operating temp faster. Which would indirectly effect the emmissions by changing the time interval that the engine was in open-loop mode. Interesting.

Still stupid - aircraft pollute far more than cars. I hate emmissions, so I need to understand it as best I can to find the weaknesses in the system in order to fully exploit them. :)

GD

so I need to understand it as best I can to find the weaknesses in the system in order to fully exploit them. :)

GD

:drunk: its always better to "know your enemy"

I like clean air. I live in a highly populated vally and air quality is not always that good. you have a point. there are lots of other polution sources that need to be addressed. and the "smog credit" system for big buisness needs to go.

alas I am drifting off topic. sorry Im done.