Ultimate Subaru Message Board

stripped hub?

So once again i have a problem with the loyale. So here it is, I have had both front axle nuts come loose. and i tighten them down and eveything seems good. exept that i will give it gas and then a huge thunk and rpms shoot up and hear a grinding noise. and i will put the axle nut on as tight as physically possible then it will do the same thing. Then it will work again. it has happened on both sides now. And im nervious to drive it far because the axle nuyt will stay tight but the thunk/grinding will happen randomly. i think its the hubs just let me know what you guys think, thanks! any response would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

The torque from the axles is supposed to be transmitted to the hubs by the splines on both parts.  If one is spinning, they are stripped.  One or both may be stripped if they were both loose.  The nuts cannot hold that much power back.  The cotter pins cannot hold that much power back.

With good axles and hubs, the nuts should be torqued to something around 150 Ft Lbs, and the cotter pin inserted to prevent loosening from vibration, etc. 

This is not a common failure, if the parts are assembled and tightened correctly.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

In the process of dealing with this myself on my 84 gl. road trip over the moutains. grinding sound, wont drive in 2wd. switch into four and drive home. rip apart hub axle assembly, hub stripped. order one from colorado. replace. use same cv axle ( 3 months old ). road trip again. same problem. have yet to rip it apart. any thoughts ? I may have needed to replace my cv axle again to have fresh splines.

It wouldn't surprise me if the splines were damaged on both parts during the original problem

Check the cone washer, the spring washer were installed correctly, and in good condition. Also, not a bad idea to double check the tightness after a drive or 2 after you reassemble it.

The cone washer is thick, and has a split / slit.  The spring washer goes on next, and the concave side toward the hub.  The concave / convex is subtle, so look closely.  If you really have a flat washer, that might be part of the problem.

I have had both front axle nuts come loose. and i tighten them down and eveything seems good.

Axle nuts require a cotter pin to keep them from coming loose.  Sounds like   the pins are missing.

If the castle nuts came loose while driving, chances are parts got damaged and will need to be replaced.  Disassembly and inspection are, unfortunately, required.

Edited by Dee2

Also the axles are pressed into the fonts if everything came loose it could of ruined the fit and they are no longer able to be pressed in to keep everything from fitting together nicely. If i were you i would just source the parts to 5x100 swap its a much better design. Axles bolt right in and there is no way to strip the hub with the newer hubs.