Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 outback with 97k miles. Do timing belt now or wait till 105k? Is there a write up of the job?

Hey all!

Just purchased my car and it has 97k on the clock. I am trying to decide wether to replace now or if it will hold off (a few months) till I at least hit 100k miles. 

also, 

Has anyone developed a tutorial? I saw some great resources on you tube but I always like to see a step by step if anyone has one?

WAY overdue from the 'time' side of the maintenance schedule. (105K miles OR 105Months)

Do the timing system service. (I wouldn't change the waterpump, but all the idlers and the tensioner should be changed. carefully inspect the crank and cam seals and be prepared to change any that are seeping.

lots of info on line, probably 2-3 youtube videos, etc.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Look at this way, if you don't do it now and the belt snaps while cruising at 45 mph on the highway, causing you to pull over and call a tow truck, where you'll wait 3 hours for the guy to show, plus being late for wherever you were going, plus the cost of $50-100 to either tow it home where you'll spend a week on here asking if you bent the valves or not OR have it towed to the mechanic who will tell you you bent the valves and instead you'll be here asking if you can swap heads from another car, etc. etc. etc.

OR you could spend $120 (roughly) for new belt and pulleys, tensioner and a Saturday afternoon and avoid all the BS. Your choice.

Edited by Bushwick

Is it 4 cylinder? If it's a six it doesn't have a timing belt. Otherwise....

Definitely replace. The compounds deteriorate and can fail. You gain nothing waiting, it's super easy, and it's risky - interference engine and valves usually bend on that engine if the belt breaks. No reason to wait. Replace timing pulleys and tensioner too, Gates kits on Amazon are cheap and frequently used.

Of course your probability of failure is low, less than 5%, it's just a silly risk to take with no upside.

It's really easy, hardly need a write up, I can do one in less than an hour. Remove serpentine belts and pulley (10 & 12mm fasteners), 22mm crank pulley, timing covers (10mm) and replace timing components (14mm). Can't get much easier.

Crank pulley is tight, to lock engine in place insert long stout screwdriver into flexplate hole through bell housing acess at back of engine under throttle body.

If you want a write up get a free Subaru FSM, any 2005-2009 (Impreza outback legacy forester all have the same 2.5 engine) will work and 2000-2004 is basically the same (same timing belt parts and pulleys and tensioner) too with very minor differences.

Thanks guys!

I just ordered a new gates kit online (got it from amazon for 180 but verified it was new). 

I will do the job this weekend. 

Is it 4 cylinder? If it's a six it doesn't have a timing belt. Otherwise....

Definitely replace. The compounds deteriorate and can fail. You gain nothing waiting, it's super easy, and it's risky - interference engine and valves usually bend on that engine if the belt breaks. No reason to wait. Replace timing pulleys and tensioner too, Gates kits on Amazon are cheap and frequently used.

Of course your probability of failure is low, less than 5%, it's just a silly risk to take with no upside.

It's really easy, hardly need a write up, I can do one in less than an hour. Remove serpentine belts and pulley (10 & 12mm fasteners), 22mm crank pulley, timing covers (10mm) and replace timing components (14mm). Can't get much easier.

Crank pulley is tight, to lock engine in place insert long stout screwdriver into flexplate hole through bell housing acess at back of engine under throttle body.

If you want a write up get a free Subaru FSM, any 2005-2009 (Impreza outback legacy forester all have the same 2.5 engine) will work and 2000-2004 is basically the same (same timing belt parts and pulleys and tensioner) too with very minor differences.

Good job. 180, more than I thought but still great deal for everything.

Pretty cheap 100,000 miles you just bought there. Keep oil and coolant in it and they easily make 200,000 without blinking.

Will need to replace leaky valve cover gaskets and oil cooler gasket some day but those are easy and cheap.

Knock sensors are most common failure but still unlikely. I sometimes replace preventatively as they're cheap on eBay and one easy bolt to replace.

And keep an eye on/hope you don't get head gasket leaks.