Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Two broken lug nuts from tire replacement!

Over the summer, I bought a new set of tires for the Forester from Costco.  Today, I went back for a tire rotation, and the guy in charge told me who ever put the tires back on the car cross threaded 2 of the lug nuts.  They had to break the lugs to get the tires off.  Apparently, they said that the technician may have put the lugs in the gun before starting the threading on the car.

They said that they would reimburse me on the expense.  What do you think this would wind up costing?

Do you think it is worth going back to dealer for this?  I am concerned the other lug nuts could have damage too.

Thanks

Yeah they're easy to replace.

If they're covering the repair why does it matter what it costs?

There's nothing to be concerned about. They would have noticed any problematic lugs on install. If you think they wouldn't then you need a new tire shop. If they threaded back on fine they aren't going to break. And if they did, each wheel will incur zero issues with 3 or more of the 5 lugs in place. It's absolutely zero risk.

We can complain about it all day long but it's common. I find that air tools spin the lug off so fast that they damage the threads on removal. It's as if the last thread, just before its off, slams against the stud as it rails off at high rpm. If you don't pull the gun off instantaneously there's more chance of contact. They're often tighter going back on due to this or don't unless you chase them with a die. Seen it a ton of times and it's hard to avoid. Unless you're very careful or use hand tools.

I would not go to the dealer. Possible additional headaches for what is a very common and easy repair.

Cost - $75-$150

• Like 1

I never thought about the high-speed removal issue!

I'm gonna try to get off the trigger faster on my electric impact.

(I usually take a wire brush - the 'toothbrush'-looking type - and hand brush the lugs - just to clear any loose plating or corrosion off, and I always re-thread by hand)

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

I never thought about the high-speed removal issue!

ive never seen or heard someone mention it before which is odd as i've seen it so often I would guess that's the main cause of most lug thread issues....maybe i've got special air tools or am really bad at mechanical work. 

i've only used a torque wrench maybe twice on subaru lug nuts and have certainly over tigthened them, but have never sheared one (not counting rusty heaps, parts cars) off.  i'm not sure, but i suspect many sheared lug nuts blamed on "over torquing" are actually from removal, not installation.

it's pretty easy to tell - start verifying your lugs are perfectly smooth and can hand-tighten (chase them with taps/dies if need be).  then zip them off and voila! when you go to install them, they do install fine, but they're "tighter" or not as smooth going back on.  then it's just a matter of time, a little corrosion, or one getting hit bad enough that it is problematic. 

We can complain about it all day long but it's common. I find that air tools spin the lug off so fast that they damage the threads on removal. It's as if the last thread, just before its off, slams against the stud as it rails off at high rpm. If you don't pull the gun off instantaneously there's more chance of contact. They're often tighter going back on due to this or don't unless you chase them with a die. Seen it a ton of times and it's hard to avoid. Unless you're very careful or use hand tools.

Yeah, always seemed to me that impact wrenches are really "impacting" in both directions, loose and knocking about are kind of their thing.  That said, i've never used one regularly, I'm pretty much analog when it comes to the tools.  Wow that was an obnoxiously hipster thing to say, eh? 

Edited by lostinthe202

I only use the lug wrench on lug nuts. I use my impact wrench only on removing very stuck parts, when I don't care if something breaks, or there is no good way to hold the other piece. And sometimes, things like 2-1/2" nuts on my backhoe.

I use my impact all the time when I am rotating tires, but I set the torque lower than what is needed and then take my torque wrench to all the lugs for the final step. 

Also I have never had a problem taking anything off with them as far as buggering up the threads.  Now if you are putting something on and then if you don't start the nut, bolt, or what ever you plan on using the impact on then you are just asking for problems. 

And if a tire installer can't tell that he is causing a problem with that impact and doesn't correct it should be pushing a broom somewhere.

If they're covering the repair why does it matter what it costs?

Yeah, I guess your right. It's just annoying, that I have to take it t get it fixed, and go back there to get reimbursed. It's the time issue.

I am due for inspection in March, so I made an appointment for both.

Even though Costco does free rotations, I may just do it myself. The jack that I have is not quite tall enough for that car however.

if you're just within a coupla inches with your jack - you could jack to max - set your jack stands, then add a block of wood to the jack pad and lift a little higher.

I wouldn't recommend getting crazy with this, but it might help if you're 'close'.  letting air out of the tire might help a little as well.