Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New water pump leaking...

I just replaced timing belts and did my water pump too. I put water pump rtv on both sides of thegasket. Got the bolts snug till it ooZed the waited an hour then snugged them down. I took just a scraper to clean the old stuff off. I started the car up and i noticed it leaking. This had been days after I installed the new water pump before I started the car.

Should I take the water pump off and get a new seal? The seal that came with the pump looks really thin and cheap too I noticed.

Any advice??

Unless it specifically tells you to, you shouldn't use rtv in conjunction with a gasket.

In my experience, all the guys that I've seen do that, that component comes back leaking and I end up having to fix it the right way.

If you are worried about the gasket being very thin or low quality, go buy a nice gasket off. Rock auto. I mean hey, at this point it needs to be replaced anyways.

Most issues I have seen with leaking resulted from not cleaning the surface properly. Any old material left behind can create issues, especially when dealing with a paper thin gasket such as for the water pump. 

If it's leaking from the seal (be sure it's not a hose connection running down the side making it look like the seal) your only option is to take it off and do it again. Whereas golucky above says don't use any, I will say if you do us sealant, it only needs to be a film to cover the paper, not a bead. If you left a bead on both sides that was too much, and you may have left a void somewhere. 

Good luck!

Dan

Too much rtv. The gasket is supposed to be very thin. The surfaces should be cleaned well.

I have used rtv as a gasket sealer, very thin amount, tighten right down to proper tourque on assembly. If it ooses out, too much. I have not had leaks doing this.

I have also used the spray on copper gasket sealant with good results.

• Like 1

Is the groove in the pipe smooth and clean?  Is the bore in the pump smooth?  I had one remanufactured, with pits.  Make sure the thing isn't bent or putting a lot of force against the oring when you bolt down the tab.

I have found that silicon plumber's grease can help seal them, and keep hoses from sticking. 

A few times, I use a small amount of RTV on the oring to seal to the pitted surface of the tune, or housing.  IF you decide to try this, everything must be clean and dry.  And wait a good day before filling with coolant.