Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Hitachi Carb Throttle stuck in Closed position

Hello everyone,

My 1981 GL 4wd 1.8 wagon had sat for @ 8 months while I slowly found/fixed the electric cooling fans issues....

After a fresh battery charge I jump in to start it up and the gas pedal is 'Stuck' and won't budge!  I check the accelerator

cable and it's fine/free and try to rotate the 'throttle wheel' on the side of the stock Hitachi carburetor and it won't budge.

Sprayed some liquid wrench around the throttle shaft but I'd guess that i may be seized within the carb body as it passes

through to the butterfly/intake?   Any ideas/thoughts?   I've not had a chance to look since applying some of the liquid wrench

(due to the weather and work) but I thought i'd ask everyone here...

It feels like the throttle wheel is mechanically stuck and doesn't budge a bit!  

*  The car had run hot the last time it ran because the cooling fans had a short, so that may have contributed to this issue, and

I also remember the idle being HIGHER than normal as I moved it a few blocks to it's current resting space.. :rolleyes:   It's beginning

so sound bad already... isn't it..

but hey, hopefully, it's just another crappy Hitachi Carb quirk.. (the ole sticky throttle shaft!!)    I've searched the forum but haven't

found anything like this, yet.

thanks in advance!!

gadberry

UPDATE:.   I checked to see if the Liquid wrench had worked, and the throttle mechanism was still stuck even though I could 'open'

the butterfly valve by pushing UP on the "plunger device" on the outside; rear of the Hitachi Carb (sorry for not remembering what that's called

at the moment)..   So, I placed a 12mm socket over the end of the throttel shaft nut and slightly loosened it and then re-tightened it... and it's free

and working again.. pedal feels normal too.

Now, if I only had a good battery on-hand, I could try starting her up again... but the battery was "fully charged" last weekend and now only measures 11.9 volts.

I'll check back in a few days after I've confirmed it's all back to normal.   Thanks everyone for input and suggestions!! 

best to all and have a peaceful holiday season

gadberry

• 2 weeks later...