Ultimate Subaru Message Board

valve grinding/lapping paste grrr

I'm guessing there not too many that give their subes a valve lap ??

Given the double ended tube I share is about 50 years old and the fine grit end is empty , time to buy my own and keep it to myself

Not too many choices out their in car parts world

I looked at Permatex #80036. Comes as a water based sealed aluminium tube, only one end, so only one grade

Instructions on the rear say to start with coarse 120 grit, finish up with fine grit 220

Only problem is the tube is one grade all through, does not state anywhere on packaging or tube as to whether it is fine or coarse

OK, so I bought it anyway. The only consumer contact detail in the back is in the US, not Australia

Thanks to the world of www I was able to shoot off an enquiry, but I guess if they are dealing with enquiries from their world market, this EA82 is gonna have more whiskers on it by the time they get back to me. Some super sleuthing found the Australian wing of the mother company, and took a few calls before I spoke to the best informed tech enquiries guy ever

The packaging card is out of date and refers to the old product that was two grades, just has not been updated to match the product, so possibly the safety notices also not compliant ?

I used the product with the good old hand powered suction capped tool and in no time the blackened pitting of my EA82T heads valve seats with 172,000 km on them were looking so much better. But, what about the coarse fine differences? Apparently the coarseness of this product breaks down to a finer grader as you finish off - bit more pressure I suppose.

Or, it was suggested a wet n dry of same desired 220 or so grit to finish to a nice polish ?

Hang putting the heads in for a service. Already had them pressure tested and shaved. Got new seals from our friends at Rock.

The other woe with this type of product was another brand - Australian company that sells a double ended tube. Every one I inspected seemed a little light on in volume and as it turned out - weight. It took a few days and a few calls to get to the bottom of this...seeing as though it is water based, it has dried out through the seemingly air tight cap and left a near dried out base product. The way these tubes stood in store, made the coarse end look full as it was on the bottom, fine end look depleted or pilfered - due to no anti theft type packaging or anti evap wrap either. I returned tto the shop I purchased it from, asking if they wanted to keep a customer happy just flog product from one tube to top mine up to the 60g as stated. Wouldn't be in it, and offered a refund. So I took the refund, more in protest to them not having tech advice at hand  for two days .

Stiff, you need to add water to base product to use it ... I prefer sealed cap and packet of the Permatex thanks !

Time to assemble to give it the soapy water in the chamber trick and give the ports some air, or petrol in the ports and see if it seals nice

JumPs off soap box

I've only used one grit, whatever it was I bought years ago at NAPA.  It does seem to get finer as you go, never had any problem with it.  The bigger pieces of grit probably get worked out of the way first, as you twist the valve.

Seen the Clover brand but think its only in 500gram (testicle ball park pricing) on order.

I had time to test results, found results improved when I used springs to pull valve shut

The inlets are bubble free, the exhausts, well, aren't. Going for the dried out two in one fine section next try

It is just fine. Grit size would be TMI for the average consumer

5 hours ago, jono said:

Seen the Clover brand but think its only in 500gram (testicle ball park pricing) on order.

I had time to test results, found results improved when I used springs to pull valve shut

The inlets are bubble free, the exhausts, well, aren't. Going for the dried out two in one fine section next try

It is just fine. Grit size would be TMI for the average consumer

I usually cheat and chuck a variable speed drill on the stem :rolleyes:

Too bad McMaster-Carr doesn't ship to Aus.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#lapping-compounds/=1dgxn9k

$16.44 is a lot more bearable.

Then there's this gouging

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CLOVER-VALVE-GRINDING-PASTE-Lapping-Compound-Coarse-120-Grit-2oz-Fine-280-2-oz-/291731991773

Edit: there must be industrial or auto sources for valve lapping pastes over there.

Edited by czny

Yes, somick that tube there is the 3oz tube version of the 1.5 oz tube I bought with the outdated instructions referring to two grit size process. Paid A$11.99 for it off the shelf

No grit size stated on mine.

This product did beaute job on the inlets,  the exhausts may be harder material - being factory turbo exhaust valves they are different to aftermarket. Just need to make room on a bench rather than kneel over, gut compressing vital organs, cardboard under knees compressing back to hard ..body not in comfortable work position to really get the weight into the job .

Lazy way of a drill driving valve rotationally in one direction is I dunno, against my learnings, and the clapped out 50 year old made in Sydney tool is air powered and jiggle valve head backwards forwards in small movements. One direction gets a bad {maybe unwarranted wrap on utube}

I did this on Sunnie the Brumby last year as a part of a head gasket job.

i recall my paste having two types of grit, I'd have to look for the tube to give you more information on it. I got that either from super cheat or my old local parts place that's family operated (awesome place).

I had to get new valve suction tools to do the spin bit on the valves - even then the bloody things wouldn't stick to the valves to do the job. I can't remember how I jammed them in to make them work but the job got done and it runs real well now :D

The drill trick should work. If you're really worried about the one direction thing, you could always flick it into reverse for a bit.

Cheers

Bennie

I got to that level of desperation in the end Bennie. I know when I am beat. I have seat cutters that are 50's or 60's stuff but the jigger that sits in the valve guide is too fat for these newer Japanese makes. Valve grinding tool we had went in the bin months ago - same vintage - and just try getting new stones and belts for it ....

Heads are going in just with valves to tru$ted engineers of 35 years acquaintance. I'll stick the seals n newer springs on to save some coin

Turbo heads EA82 underscored set from 87 Vortex and given the time and parts involved I don't really want to be removing heads for at least 150,000 km

What with this engine in bits, just a few gearboxes..things close to getting out of hand

Customer loyalty gets customer service ...the boss was out and the boys had time to do a proper machine shop test - vacuum - not YouTube baloney soap bubbles

Machinist pointed out as soon as shove air pressure into valve ports you are starting to open the valve. Vacuum goes other way as if it is the combustion chamber.

They are excellent !

Cleaning and assembly can begin