Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Manual Transmission Replacement Compatibility

I am replacing my 98 Legacy Outback 2.5 transmission - 96-TY752V2DCA.  This is my first transmission project.  Could the community here please provide input on what transmissions will work?  I have been searching the forum, but am having trouble nailing this down.  My goal is to find the least-used transmission I can afford.  It will help if I can look at a broader selection of used transmissions.  Thanks!

Here is what I think I already understand:

• phase 1 engines like mine have 2 bolts up top and 2 nuts at the bottom holding the bell housing to the engine block phase 2 engines use 6 bolts and 2 nuts, but the holes  match up and using just 4 attachment points is OK;
  • I either need to match my current 4.111 forward drive ratio or install a matching rear differential with the replacement transmission;  changes in other gear ratios may impact torque or freeway RPM and are engineered to match the weight and performance of particular cars, but if I'm a relatively boring driver I should not be impacted too much by these changes.
  • my current front differentials use spring pins to secure the front axles. This may not be the case with a replacement;
  • 5MT manual transmissions continue to be installed in Subarus to the present day and will still bolt up to my 20 year old engine.

Here is what I'm pretty sure I don't know:

• what transmissions are compatible with my hydraulic push clutch?
  • Are there other compatibility issues that need to be considered?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Thanks for the response, Mike104.  I have been there and entered my vehicle info.  The responses provided by car-part to my query were different for different years of Outback and for Outback versus Forester.   That led me to think that car-part might be only recommending transmissions with identical gear ratios.  I'm trying to broaden my set of options.  I've seen in this forum several discussions about using slightly different transmissions and was hoping there might be an existing thread or a forum member that could help provide some additional guidance on which transmissions are compatible.

Again, thanks again for taking the time to respond.  

You could drop any 5 speed box in, they'll all fit without issue. 

The issue will be that the model the gearbox came from will be setup for the rotational size of tyre fitted to that vehicle. 

So if you put an impreza gearbox in your outback your taller tyres will effectively over-gear the gearbox and the speed on the speedo will be showing UNDER your actual speed. It may also make the engine work harder.

On the flip side, if you use a forester gearbox you'll be under gearing the gearbox with the reduction in tyre size. This will make your car nice and peppy but also give you high rpm at cruise.

With the forester box, it could work if it's got the same diff ratio but the speedo read different due to a different speedo drive gear. You may also find a different 5th ratio for cruising.

As for drive shafts, if the gearbox has stub axles, use the matching driveshaft.

Ultimately the best way to go is to get a box that's been rebuilt with a warranty or at least opened up to ensure all gears are intact. 

What is actually wrong with your gearbox?

All the best with it.

Cheers

Bennie

1996-99 Forester, OB, GT, Impreza RS....easiest choices- direct swap and all 'hydro'/ hydraulic clutch. The RS and GT will have a gear ratio for 'shorter' tires.

2000--04-ish should work, but the FD ratio's get 'fuzzy'.

Sometime around the 2004 year most Subes lost the gear-driven speedo - probably a work-around.

The early '02-''05 (?) WRX (turbo) 5-speeds are a PULL type clutch and you'll need a PUSH as you noted...in case you were thinking.

Whether the new FB-series engines' 5-speeds will work w/your EJ-series engine is not listed in my 'database' (memory).

You live in freakin' Subie-central there in Vancouver - near Portland AND Seattle. No shortage of donors, I'd surmise.

This chart may (or not) still be useful, as I've not personally reviewed it: http://www.gearhack.com/myink/ViewPage.php?file=docs/Subaru Transmission Chart

Here's a pic of parts you may also need for the clutch: http://opposedforces.com/parts/forester/us_s10/type_11/manual_transmission/clutch/illustration_1/

Unlikely you'll need the master or slave cylinders.

.....- make sure you don't push the clutch pedal with everything disconnected....read that's a bad idea.

Td

Edited by wtdash

• 5 years later...

Hi guys I have a 98 Forester 5-speed and a 98 Forester automatic my 5-speed went out so and so did the engine on that one so I'm taking the automatic out of one and putting it into the other the one that blew the five speed what all do I have to do and what are the two wiring harnesses that go to the transmission that I have no clue how to wire up to on my 5-speed one do I just got to swap those wiring harnesses in and plug and play or what I don't know I'm kind of right in the middle of it so I'm just trying to figure it out thanks