Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Getting Power from an ea 81

Anything simple and low cost gives you small amounts.   Anything complicated and expensive is going to consume time and NLA parts.  EJ swap is a big project and is 40% HP increase with no engine reliability penalty, and parts are available.  How you use that power may be stressful to the rest of the driveline...

I wouldn't recommend running an EJ in front of an EA transmission, you're asking for trouble long term.

There are some companies out there that manufacture go-fast parts for the EA81.  There used to be a handful of experimental engine builders who had parts for the EA81 as well as Paeco Industries.

Where do you want this power? Low speed, high speed, seat of pants,

EA81T

Twin Hitachi carbs on manifold

Just a tune can help

Those that EJ seem to also go EA82 five speed conversion

Hang around the aircraft engine sites if any left. Somewhere out there are special heads SUB4 New Zealand, roller rockers, cast alloy rocker covers.

SUB4 used to run a Brumby with their engine components in it.

16/56 camshaft profile was best I did, until I went twin carbs, then EA82 Y pipe

EA82 5 MT

Then the best thing I did was put an EA82 in :)

15 hours ago, Steptoe said:

Those that EJ seem to also go EA82 five speed conversion

The EA82 5spd will handle the EJ22 power just fine so long as you’re not trying to turn massively oversized wheels. 

15 hours ago, Steptoe said:

Then the best thing I did was put an EA82 in :)

Blasphemy!! Should never happen. Many good Brumbys destroyed over here with a hammer trying to fit an EA82 into the EA81 engine bay. 

Cheers 

Bennie