Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bad Subaru OEM plug wires? 93 ej22

Perhaps I don't know the secret password or something....

RE: my new EJ22 which uses 1993 donor heads and peripherals: 

Today I set out to pull a couple of spark plugs to check condition for clues to an operational issue.

Pulling the OEM wire ends free from the plugs resulted in destruction of the wires (new with only 2000 miles).

I did NOT yank on the cables, but rather,  pulled the bright-red rubbery ends. After some effort, they came free, but 

in the process, left their metal connectors on the NGK spark plugs...

WTH? are OEM wires these one-time use items? Is there a special process to keep them in one piece when removing?

In 40 years wrenching, have never seen any OEM part fail this easily.

Is this a fluke? Now I'm hesitant to buy another set from Subaru, and the geeks on USMB say "always use oem wires".

Thoughts?

Yes moosens, that is correct, they were purchased at the dealer. Along with the new e22 short block and and a truckload of other engine peripheral parts.

The problem appears to be with the crimping, which is clearly defective, and would never grip the wire worth beans... And both that I pulled were exactly alike.

Perhaps the dealer was sourcing ( inadvertently?) fake wire sets, or the set was made the day a new guy started on the crimper.

As for the fake parts you mentioned, are we talking about the guys on ebay???

Are there any other fans of NGK plug wires out there?  Where do you purchase your GENUINE NGK wires? 

I too use NGK wires, though a week or two ago I pulled the wires on the Legacy, and one of the connectors stayed on the distributor, with a piece of lead attached. I fitted them about 6 months ago!

They don’t come from the dealer. They were from a local parts supplier. Who knows what’s fake and what is not?

I am not forking out 32 euros plus 21% tax for each cable at the dealer...

My local EJ22 guru said: "go to pep boys and get some wires".  $28 with  lifetime warranty against defects (Borg Warner- BWA) looks the same, and is an inch or so more generous on all the lengths. Compared to the OEM wires I removed, Borg Warner's crimping appears to be much more robust. 

And what does Borg Warner do to help their customers?

They box their wires with a small packet of dielectric grease to lube the connection on the spark plug end for easier removal without damage. Ha! re-usable plug wires, what a concept!  

The moral of the story: Lube your spark plug connectors for best service life.

Never needed to do this with my VW stuff,  now, minor adjustments to habits must be made now that Subaru 2.2 is manning the engine bay on the Vanagon live and learn.

Thanks, everybody for chiming in!