Ultimate Subaru Message Board

300 miles on fact. new eng., broke down

I have an 86 GL wagon that I just put a factory new engine in, along with a new clutch. They put new oil and water pumps, new heads, timing belts, the whole shebang. She ran just like a fuzzy little kitten until about two hours ago. We've only put 300 miles on this new engine. The wife was driving at about 40mph in fourth gear, when she said she felt it lose power, "like a strong wind suddenly hit us" as she put it. She down-shifted to third, but it was still weak. We were coming to a stop light and had to stop. The car died when she put the clutch in. She was able to restart it with the key to get through the intersection and pull over to the side of the road. We tried starting it with the key again, but it wouldn't start. It seemed to be laboring quite hard; it wasn't just the starter turning, the starter seemed to be working very hard to turn it the engine at all. Oil pressure, volts, and coolant temp were perfectly normal when this occurred.

I was pretty baffled and called the tow truck. Nothing was leaking from the car. I looked under the carb for a loose vacuum hose but couldn't find any. There was an unhooked wire under there, but I'm not sure what that was.

Could this possibly be caused by a timing belt that slipped? Could that have trashed this brand spankin' new engine? I have heard that timing belts can harm these engines when they fail. Is that true?

The car was idling a little rough when we picked it up after the new engine but it was getting better. I mentioned that at the shop today when I was getting the oil changed and he seemed to think it was normal for a break in period. Any thoughts? Thanks.

When you say Factory, do you mean Dealer? From the description you are giving, it sounds like a rebuild not new.

Very unusual to have any rebuild to die like that, unless they forgot to do something. Did they do anything about the exhaust? The symptoms sound like a plugged catalytic converter. This engine is a EA82, which is a non-interference engine. If the belts break it wont damage the engine.

I would have the car towed back to where they worked on it and have them look at it. And hopefully fix it for free. What kind of warranty did you get?

Certainly has all the characteristics of a broken passenger side timing belt - rapid loss of power, but still running on two cylinders. It will not hurt your engine, but I would certainly have a talk with the retards that improperly installed it - assuming that is the problem. Difficulty in turning the engine over could be because all the valves for cylinders 1 and 3 are closed perhaps......

GD

I don't think this is the exhaust getting plugged up. I think someone forgot to torque one of the belt tensioners. it sliped and then so did one of the timing belts.

Pull the front cover and take a look see. Let us know what you find out. This shouldn't take more then 30 minutes, another few minutes for you the be back on the road again.

Also, check the fuel filter. It doesn't sound like that but sometimes after a large repair stuff gets free in the fuel and clogs that up, happened to me once. But the engine lost power over 100miles very slowly.

on the extreme, being a rebuilt engine, someone had to touch the bottom end somehow, and mechanic error could have caused a spun bearung (OUCH!)

Stop scaring the newbs Miles :D

Sounds like someone did all the work for you. If so make them stand by their workmanship, figure out whats wrong and fix it. I'm sure it's something silly. Timing belt as suggested, intake manifold gasket, big vacume leak, or some other stilly thing.

Good luck

Thanks so much for the replies.

I asked them if it was a rebuilt engine and the owner said, "No it is factory NEW. There aren't many of those left, either." They are giving me a 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty, so I'm not terribly worried about it costing me anything. These guys do fantastic work and truly love Subarus. The kind of mechanics where you take it in for one thing, and notice later that they made adjustments on other items that needed it without charging you. I had the engine on this car rebuilt by the clods at K**'s Auto Repair in Seattle when it had 98,000 miles on it and leaked oil like a seive. I found out about a year later they used the wrong gasket sealer (the blue stuff) and it started leaking oil EVERYWHERE a year later. 20,000 miles later a timing belt snapped on the freeway, and 60,000 miles later the head gaskets went, resulting in this new motor. The options I was presented were, $1400 for a used engine with 127,000 miles, $2000 to reseal my engine, or $2800 for a factory new engine. Since this car has no rust for some reason, it was an easy decision. The total for the new engine, clutch, right front driveshaft with C.V's, right front ball joint, and tires rotated and balanced was $3350.

They open in about an hour so I'll let you all know what the problem was. I'm just glad I don't have to wait several days for some major work. I hope.

Hmmm. I definitely should have come here first. I didn't know this site existed until I did a google search on resistor blocks the other day.

The verdict is: a cam bolt wasn't torqued properly, which worked loose and somehow got caught in the timing belt and knocked it off its track. They admitted that it is their fault, and are covering cab fare. AAA picked up the tow.

So I just looked at the CCR site. It doesn't have prices, but I'm probably afraid to find out what one of their engines would have cost, anyway. Lesson learned: This is a great site for sube info. I think when one of my other cars goes t.u. I might buy an older wagon with a burnt out motor and slap a new one in there. Seems like a much cheaper way to go than a new car.

Hmmm. I definitely should have come here first. I didn't know this site existed until I did a google search on resistor blocks the other day.

The verdict is: a cam bolt wasn't torqued properly, which worked loose and somehow got caught in the timing belt and knocked it off its track. They admitted that it is their fault, and are covering cab fare. AAA picked up the tow.

So I just looked at the CCR site. It doesn't have prices, but I'm probably afraid to find out what one of their engines would have cost, anyway. Lesson learned: This is a great site for sube info. I think when one of my other cars goes t.u. I might buy an older wagon with a burnt out motor and slap a new one in there. Seems like a much cheaper way to go than a new car.

I just talked to a rep at CCR Inc the other day. I was quoted 1200 $ + shipping for an EA82 SPFI engine. Sounds like they quoted you what $1400 for a rebuilt engine (which is what CCR Inc. does) so it's not far off.

Glad to hear they are getting you taken care of. Hope to see you round here more often now :)

Peace