Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gas shooting out the filler.

So I parked my car today, and when I shut it off I heard a gurgling from the rear. I popped open the gas cap, I gurgled twice, and then it shot about 1/2 cup of fuel at me! I had about 3/4 of a tank in the car. What in the world could of caused that? Like I could see a plugged evap causing pressure, but the gurgling noise?

I never heard of a tank puking gas.

Check to make sure the tank is not leaking. 

Gurgling may be from a worn out gas cap and it would be cheap to replace it with a new one to see if that solves your problem.

good luck.

1 minute ago, Dee2 said:

I never heard of a tank puking gas.

Check to make sure the tank is not leaking. 

Gurgling may be from a worn out gas cap and it would be cheap to replace it with a new one to see if that solves your problem.

good luck.

It gurgled after i took the cap off though.

19 hours ago, Ionstorm66 said:

It gurgled after i took the cap off though.

You may have something clogging the fill tube....  I'm not sure how to safely inspect that.  Perhaps a thin, long, wooden dowel ?  Or, remove the fill tube from the tank then inspect it.

Edited by Dee2

My L can make noises sometimes. But I never open the cap when it does this and it never shoots fuel at me. 

No running issues for me, any running issues for you? If not, don’t worry about it - and keep the cap on!

Cheers 

Bennie

Edited by el_freddo

It sounds like the pressure vent on the gas tank is clogged. I had the same thing on my Brat and was so bad it built enough pressure to rub the tank against the rear half shaft, rubbing a hole in it. When I put in the new tank the problem went away. Try finding a vented cap and see if that solves your problem.