Ultimate Subaru Message Board

dropping oil pressure at idle.

I just got an 88 wagon 2wd 5 speed from Chef Tim and I really love this thing.I was at work tonight delivering pizza and I noticed at idle my oil pressure is at almost zero.I am going to change my oil tomorrow to see if this helps at all,but I was wondering if an oil pump in need of a reseal could cause this condition.Oh yeah at 2000 rpm and higher the gauge reads 45 psi.Thanks Dave.

It LOOKS like zero on that guage, but that 0 line is actually about 8 PSI. If you notice and look REALLY close while its ideling, then shut off the engine completly, the nedel drops below that line.

Kinda scary but its all good. If your lifters are quiet then you have adequete pressure. Your pressure should build up siignificantly and be at 45 PSI output at 3,000 RPMs @ full running temp. Oil pressure will be a lot higher if the engine is cold.

GD is correct on the sending units; they really do suck. If you want a truely accurate oil pressure reading I would get you a real guage that doesnt use a crappy electric sending unit but one that routes oil upto the guage.

Peace