Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Information about GL-10 Turbos?

Your user name suggests you have one. Do you?

If so , do tell

Factory did AWD auto four speed and 5MT in dual range and single range. Different markets over the model range around the world got different options.

I had an E4AT more as a 113kg ornament, have a single range and a dual range behind Series One and Two turbos

No electronics aren’t a big deal. Sometimes the clusters can get flaky.

chief issues with turbo are they’re ancient and every fitting, hose, gasket and seal is old. They quickly go from having an issue to dead engine if not promptly addressed, but their value doesn’t lend them to getting great maintenance and repair. By now most have seen bouts of poor ownership, poor oil maintenance, overheating, turbo issues....

Other than that they’re fine. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mr_man10gt said:

Anyone got information on these things? Are they factory AWD? Do the electronic clusters crap out a lot? How's reliability? Any fun facts about em?

Reliability was not that great and is worse now that there's no parts for them. A few were AWD - they are rare now. 

The heads crack and they have head gaskets issues. And they are a total b1tch to work on. 

The biggest issue is there's NO parts for them. So they really aren't feasible drivers. 

GD

In the 86 gl10 turbo wagons, the distributor electronics have a limited lifespan, which is considerably shorter than the lifespan of the remainder of the vehicle.  There are a lot of other electrical issues that can keep it from starting, and put it in junk yards.  The new felpro head gaskets can keep the head gaskets from blowing and are a must have.  I have 475,000 miles on mine and still can keep it running, since all of the things that go wrong, have gone wrong before.  It still looks new since I keep it garaged.  The Subaru dealer is just waiting to get his hands on it so he can take it out of commission.  The rear brake calipers are also extremely hard to find so I hope you don't have bad ones.  My brake master cylinder finally went bad the other day.  The digital instrument cluster will have issues with the gear at the speedometer cable connector at this mileage.  Coils will also go bad.  The exhaust cross pipe develops cracks and rattles that can be resolved by removing the heat shield at the turbo end and rewelding on the outside of the pipe at the crack.  There appears to be 3 or 4 different diameters used for that pipe, at the turbo end.  The bigger the better.  What ever you do, don't let a dealer near the vehicle, because they want to sell you a new one.

Casual observance from a long time Parts monger. 

Subaru got more strict with retention and purge of stock. Ordering dealers to destroy or damage parts before going into a dumpster. That was all in line with the 80’s boom and them no longer needing mom n pop shops who got their foothold for them. At that point it became way more corporate controlled, at least directed. Plenty of guys back doored some parts into their person possessions, but not nearly enough to generate a healthy New Old Stock base like we enjoy , somewhat , with our 1970’s stock. 

No where near the number of 80’s genuine stock out there comparatively per vehicles like the 70’s. 

And going forward it pretty much bites. I wish I had spent even more time at my local dealer when they were purging early 90’s Legacy/Impreza Parts. I was lucky enough to be let into the 30 yarder to sift out whatever I could on at least one occasion. But that’s about where it ends for scoring early 90’s parts cheap or better. 

Story over for now. Enjoy ! And good luck.