Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Blew a tire in the Brat today replacement ideas needed

For the first time in my life (13 years behind the wheel) I had to pull over to the side of the highway (sailboat, trailer and all) to change a freaking flat. Having never used the Brat jack are they really supposed to pick the BRAT up far enough? Luckally it was a rear wheel and I could put the the bottom lugs on the jamb the top in. Not nearly enough clearance even with the jack all the way open.

Anyway, I guess I need some new shoes. Currently have 185/80R13 Executive $18 a piece crap on there. Any suggestions on tires. Would like something that'll go in the snow and dirt as I do use it as a work truck for carpentry. Also what is the largest width I can go on the stock alloys????

Thanks for the imput everyone!

Tread on down (pardon the pun) to the local warehouse store (out west it's Costco or Sam's Club) and see what's available. I've purchased Michelins there before as well as Bridgestones and B.F. Goodrich. They should have some type of M?S tire that'll be dual purpose enough. Although I've never tried to go bigger than 195/75/13, you might be able to go to 205, but that's just a guess. I'd wait for more feedback, especially from someone who has gone bigger than me.

Tread on down (pardon the pun) to the local warehouse store (out west it's Costco or Sam's Club) and see what's available. I've purchased Michelins there before as well as Bridgestones and B.F. Goodrich. They should have some type of M?S tire that'll be dual purpose enough. Although I've never tried to go bigger than 195/75/13, you might be able to go to 205, but that's just a guess. I'd wait for more feedback, especially from someone who has gone bigger than me.

Sorry but I'd never set foot in a warehouse type place as if the workers there are expected to be adults and they don't make a federally mandated poverty wage at their job then to me it is wrong to spend my money at the placd. I was thinking about 195/60r 13s though. Just didn't know if they'd fit. Thanks man.

I bought some tires out at the Walmart out on 462 in lancaster a few years ago for the hatch I had. They were some generic Douglas tires but they were great in the rain and snow. My buddy has some on his samarai at work and he likes them too!!! Did you consider going with pugs maybe???? Some 14" with some nice meaty tires.... :brow:

BTW, I talked to your neighbor the other day...she told me about her "new" XT :D

Good luck,

Matt

I bought some tires out at the Walmart out on 462 in lancaster a few years ago for the hatch I had. They were some generic Douglas tires but they were great in the rain and snow. My buddy has some on his samarai at work and he likes them too!!! Did you consider going with pugs maybe???? Some 14" with some nice meaty tires.... :brow:

BTW, I talked to your neighbor the other day...she told me about her "new" XT :D

Good luck,

Matt

Walmart is the same in my book. A definate no no shopping place if at all possible. As for 14s I like the stock look too much plus I use it as a work truck so I'd be scrapping just about everything when I have it loaded down.

So where'd ya meet my neighbor at anyway Matt?

Will check out the coopers!

I'm not too fond of Walmart either. Read an article in a Union paper once about walmart....I stay away as much as possible.

I've known your neighbor before she was ever your neighbor....I used to work with her at Wilbur Choc. (I'm still there...she isn't)

If your ever in the Ephrata area go to Tire Consultants and check out what they have....I usually get a pretty good deal from them on stuff. Tirerack.com is a great place too!

Matt

I'm not too fond of Walmart either. Read an article in a Union paper once about walmart....I stay away as much as possible.

I've known your neighbor before she was ever your neighbor....I used to work with her at Wilbur Choc. (I'm still there...she isn't)

If your ever in the Ephrata area go to Tire Consultants and check out what they have....I usually get a pretty good deal from them on stuff. Tirerack.com is a great place too!

Matt

Its funny just how small the world is!:) I try to get all my tires from D&M Tire on the Manheim Pk (across from Merig Kia). One of the owners has a son that is fairly active with the SVX World Network.

She definately got a good deal on the car. Seems to be in nice shape. Even though its just a 4 it has 4wd which makes it worth it in my book. I just hope she gets that broken window fixed soon or I'll start using it for parts for mine.

Hocrest was a little mad she got it though as I told him I'd work on getting it for him if she didn't want it.

where did she get the car anyhow????

Where does she live in relationship to you? i haven't been to her house yet. I went down your street tonight but I didn't see her xt. I did see a really nice brat though....you know charcoal grey and needing a new tire.... :brow:

BTW, nice GT.

Matt

She is across the street and 3 houses down (towards the old Ames Golden Triangle strip mall). Its a brick 1 story with a huge Harley Davidson rock on the porch.

Ya should've stopped in. Was the XT there (under her cover) :drunk:

As for the GT want it? I'm definately not a big fan :mad: .

For 185/70-13: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?startIndex=0&vehicleSearch=true&width=185%2F&ratio=70&diameter=13&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&x=11&y=8&speed_rating=SR&speed_rating=TR&speed_rating=UR&speed_rating=HR&speed_rating=VR&speed_rating=WR&speed_rating=YR&speed_rating=ZR

for 175/80-13:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?startIndex=0&vehicleSearch=true&width=175%2F&ratio=80&diameter=13&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&x=14&y=15&speed_rating=SR&speed_rating=TR&speed_rating=UR&speed_rating=HR&speed_rating=VR&speed_rating=WR&speed_rating=YR&speed_rating=ZR

IN 185/70-13, tire rack returns a hit on Kumho's 758 power star. Good tires. Use them on my 83 wagon. They last really well and theres enough tread on them to deal with about anything short of mud soup or fresh snow measured in feet. $27 is a pretty good deal, too.

Thanks for everyones help. Ordered me some Kelly Tire 195/70r13s

. Can't remember the exact name but am told they are very even performers all around. $200 for 4 installed too. I can't complain!