Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which ATF for my '92 Legacy?

Hello all. As a preface, I've tried to do as much reading on this forum and others educating myself on which ATF might be appropriate for my 1992 Legacy. I purchased the car a little over 2 years ago without knowing any of the maintenance history, and even though the current fluid is still a brighter pink/red I'd like to change the transmission fluid in the near future. However, the manual calls for DEX II or IIE and obviously those are not available any longer. I've read some horror stories with people putting in newer, modern fluids that gave some real problems to these older 4EAT transmissions. Do you guys have any thoughts on what ATF I can put in my old Legacy?

Every brand carries an ATF that is Dex II compatible, usually labeled Dexron III or Dexron/Mercon or Dex/Merc, Most offer synthetic and/or high-mileage options, although if you're considering synthetic, I'd just get Subaru HP fluid.

IMO, pick your favorite brand, or shop around for price, and buy any of the options that say Dex II or III on the bottle.

• Thanks 1

What they said. Brand doesn’t matter. I’ve seen people many times drive 200k without ever changing Subaru ATF so they’re robust and forgiving.

Changing it properly is 90% of the value another 9% is choosing a high grade Amsoil or Redline you’re likely to avoid due to cost.   change it 3 times to get all the old fluid out.

Change it with whatever is on sale or your friends uncles neighbor recommends. It doesn’t matter.

If you’re chasing lazy shifting or performance or want top grade fluid get Redline or Amsoil which meets the spec. Run about $100 in fluid  but it’s good stuff.