Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 speed dual range

For reasons I cannot clearly recall at this time a Master Subaru Tech who has now probably 40 years with Subaru told me the 88 and 89’s were better for some last revision upgrades. Very subtle. But made a difference. 

He knew me fairly well back then and knew I was a diehard dual range fivespeed fan. I had specifically asked which years might be better. 

You can find the dual range fivespeed from 1985-89 in the “Loyale” series. 

The holdover Brat and Hatchback models retained the fourspeed dual range during their later years.

Be sure to grab the rear diff to match the diff ratio to the box. 

Many, if not all, of the series 1 gearboxes are 3.9 ratio. The series 2 are all 3.7. 

Turbo dual range has 1.19:1 low range, non turbo got the best low range from Subaru at 1.59:1.

The turbo coupes (RXII) got dual range AWD with a locking centre diff. Best of both worlds on road and off-road, except for the crappy low range (but that can be swapped out). 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 2

On 1/2/2021 at 2:59 PM, el_freddo said:

Be sure to grab the rear diff to match the diff ratio to the box. 

Many, if not all, of the series 1 gearboxes are 3.9 ratio. The series 2 are all 3.7. 

Turbo dual range has 1.19:1 low range, non turbo got the best low range from Subaru at 1.59:1.

The turbo coupes (RXII) got dual range AWD with a locking centre diff. Best of both worlds on road and off-road, except for the crappy low range (but that can be swapped out). 

Cheers 

Bennie

pretty sure it was just the turbo dual ranges that were 3.7

10 hours ago, Chance said:

Do the R160 rears all have the same splines? Even from the 1bolt to 5bolt? Theres an 86 GL 4door in a junkyard back home, would it be DR?

ive never came across one yet that wasnt the same splines .    as for the 86 if it its not fwd,  its about a 90% chance,  red flag would be a button on the shifter for dr

17 hours ago, turbodog said:

pretty sure it was just the turbo dual ranges that were 3.7

Maybe for the series 1. Series 2 definitely all 3.7 diff ratio. 

5 hours ago, turbodog said:

red flag would be a button on the shifter for dr

Meaning if you see the button on the gearstick it will be a single range. 

Cheers 

Bennie

If you are swapping it into any 3rd gen N/A car best bet is anything 87+. As for gear ratios as long as the donor transmission did not come out of a Turbo car the gear ratio will be the same as your Loyale and there is no need to swap the rear diff. if you happen to get one out of a turbo car you will not be impressed with those gear ratios and will be mostly counteracting the benefits of the low range, also IIRC the turbo boxes had a taller low range as well to best to avoid those all together.  like stated previously 87+ EA82 N/A  car for the donor and you will be walking in tall cotton, easy bolt in swap.  

I have a first gen/EA81 brat...well actually 3 first gen brats. All 1981 EA81 first gens. Im just getting into subarus.  I have a few projects to finish up before I get into the subarus. Right now I'm just investigating and parts collecting. 

• Like 1