Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New GL Wagon Owner!

Hello Everyone!

I'm pretty new here. Just bought an 89 GL in Idaho last year and it has quickly clawed it's way up the list of favorite vehicles. It's a 5 speed manual 4wd version and I love it. It's previous owner wasn't willing to put much into it, but with a little work it's turning into quite the strong runner.

Thus far I've done head gaskets on it, valve cover gaskets, New thermostat, replaced the radiator, and the hoses, new windshield, and some rust repair around the windshield, as well as replaced the flooring on the interior with a heavy duty vinyl (Which was far too thick, Next time, I'm going to look for a much more flexible option.). 

Up next are the brakes! They started squealing today and one of the rotors is warped, so I figured I might as well redo all 4 corners. I also have some significant rust repair to do on the rear quarters. But all in all, it's coming along quite nicely!

Attach542_20200608_201500optimized.jpg

Edited by DV-523
Images Too Big
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/5/2021 at 11:41 AM, Subasaurus said:

love it!

I noticed you said one of the rotors was warped, are the rears disks or drums?

You know, that's a good question. Last time I tried to take the rear wheels off they were rusted on to well, so I've just let them lie for a while. I'll check it out tonight and let you know what I find though!

Turns out they're rear drums. too bad, but They'll do the job.

Edited by DV-523
update on the status of the rear brakes

On 5/4/2021 at 11:31 AM, DV-523 said:

You know, that's a good question. Last time I tried to take the rear wheels off they were rusted on to well, so I've just let them lie for a while. I'll check it out tonight and let you know what I find though!

Turns out they're rear drums. too bad, but They'll do the job.

they definitely will!

if you ever find rotors in the rear of one say at some junkyard, TAKE THEM!!! I screwed up by not taking them when i saw them because the sun was strong that day, went home.

the next weekend i went to grab them and there was a blank spot where the car would have been, i asked one of the yard workers, and turned out the vehicle was crushed and scrapped already, really sad when that happened, it was on a 87 GL-10.

• 2 years later...

I have some sad news. Unfortunately, my wagon is being taken off the road.😔

I moved out east to Ohio, and the amount of salt they dump on the road has dealt a killing blow to the GL. The rear wheel well as well as unibody frame that runs along the pinch weld is thin enough you can push holes in it with your fingers so I'm going to be retiring the car.

On a happier note, I bought another White Loyale! This one's a 92 instead of an 89, and has a pushbutton instead of the dual range transmission, and a few other minor differences. It had been wrecked, but the damage was minor. It's originally a California car, so there is next to no rust on the car anywhere which I am VERY excited about and it's even had an underbody spray done to it. I'm making sure the paint is perfect top to bottom before I go anywhere in this car out here.

one big drawback is that this car did not come with a title. looks like it's not been registered for some time, so I'm going to be trying to re-title it, but I'm not looking forward to all that paperwork. I've never done anything like that before, so any advice from someone who has gone through that process would be appreciated.

Anyway, I'll try to get pictures here soon.

23 minutes ago, DV-523 said:

I have some sad news. Unfortunately, my wagon is being taken off the road.😔

I moved out east to Ohio, and the amount of salt they dump on the road has dealt a killing blow to the GL. The rear wheel well as well as unibody frame that runs along the pinch weld is thin enough you can push holes in it with your fingers so I'm going to be retiring the car.

On a happier note, I bought another White Loyale! This one's a 92 instead of an 89, and has a pushbutton instead of the dual range transmission, and a few other minor differences. It had been wrecked, but the damage was minor. It's originally a California car, so there is next to no rust on the car anywhere which I am VERY excited about and it's even had an underbody spray done to it. I'm making sure the paint is perfect top to bottom before I go anywhere in this car out here.

one big drawback is that this car did not come with a title. looks like it's not been registered for some time, so I'm going to be trying to re-title it, but I'm not looking forward to all that paperwork. I've never done anything like that before, so any advice from someone who has gone through that process would be appreciated.

Anyway, I'll try to get pictures here soon.

I’ve rebuilt a ton of totaled cars which many people claim is hard, terrible, and fraught with danger and potential rejection or unknown problems and the state is out to get you. I’m an untrained DIY guy, never had shop classes or been in auto business. Never had a problem rebuilding a totaled car and getting a real title for it. It’s not a big deal. I haven’t done a title-less car but after the rebuilding process I wouldn’t be deterred if the right situation presented itself. I’ve seen the process listed looking at potential buys and other car protocols. The state tells you what to do - go do what they say. In my experience the inspectors and people involved aren’t as bad to deal with as many claim. They just want to see the I’s crossed and T’s dotted and nothing sketchy and you’re good. 

• Like 1

Look into a Vermont title.

info is out there and likely mentioned in this forum 

Not as worrisome as you may think. Best of luck. And congratulations on the solid body find. 

My opinion: install the D/R 5spd as it is the grand goddess of all the transmissions Subaru threw at us. And from speaking with a master tech years back I recall he mentioned getting an 88 or 89 would be best. Final revisions etc. 

Enjoy! 

Thanks for the encouragement and advice idosubaru and Moonsens. I'll be pressing forward and doing a lot of digging through the forums I'm sure.

Moonsens, I agree, swapping the trans is in the dream, however, I know the trans from my old GL is in rough shape. I'll need to do my research on how rebuildable they are, or if the parts are even available.

• Like 1

Subafreak resealed my 4spd 1978 4wd transmission sometime around 2012 I think. He/we were able to score the seals and related but barely. 

If you’re ever going to do it I suggest hunting down the needed seals and gaskets etc immediately. Good luck and enjoy! 

• 1 month later...