Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 1997 Subaru Outback limited is getting a little tired, burning some oil at 292,000.  I started using 20W50 oil and Lucas stop leak.  I've done body work, changed out parts; had an exhaust leak in the last few days I was able to address with parts store high heat epoxy and wraps.  I have been using it as a work vehicle.  

Here are three I checked out on CL:

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/d/putnam-valley-2002-subaru-outback-h6-30/7372165334.html

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/d/garnerville-1990-subaru-loyale-wagon/7371349596.html

https://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/cto/d/new-rochelle-2002-subaru-forester/7368939567.html

The challenge with used Subarus that pop up for sale on CL is to find one that is a good deal.  Any recommendations on searching?  How do dealers do it?  Johnny on the spot with cash?

Tough up here right now. Folks don’t let them go so fast these days. 

I do the same thing  you’re doing. But to be honest we got lucky with our last two cars bought front a friend and the other from a longtime neighbor. 

One thing I like to do on Craigslist is select All in For Sale and then type Subaru in the search. Saves bouncing around. 

9:30am - 2:00pm is the “old lady out and about” time. They’re hitting the hairdresser, groceries, doctor , you get the idea. And you live in New Canaan. If you can make time during that period you do the old leave a note method. I’ve gotten at least three I can vividly recall using that method , and sometimes maybe a face to face encounter too. Got a decent Brat. 

2 hours ago, moosens said:

9:30am - 2:00pm is the “old lady out and about” time. They’re hitting the hairdresser, groceries, doctor , you get the idea. And you live in New Canaan. If you can make time during that period you do the old leave a note method. I’ve gotten at least three I can vividly recall using that method , and sometimes maybe a face to face encounter too. Got a decent Brat. 

I knew a guy who would, on major purchases recommend the trick with the check written out and cut in half, good for a half hour.  So let say someone wants $3000, write the check for $2000 and tell him he has a half hour to make up his mind. 

Old lady creampuffs are hard to find.   An old Hippie lady might be driving one in northern New England, but we don't have many Hippies around here, mainly corporate fascists, or as my brother says, smiling assassins...

• Like 1

My 2002 Forester EJ251 (which I bought new) gradually seeped oil from the head gaskets. Nothing major, but it did require occasional top-up.  Lower left-side was the worst.

At 140,000 miles I had the engine out to replace the clutch, and put in MLS HGs at the same time.

Since then (about 5-years), the HGs have been tight, not even a hint of seepage.

Edited by forester2002s
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If the cap is on tight, then get new Subaru gas cap.

Subarupartsforyou.com is located at Dan Perkins dealership in Milford. Order on line, wait for confirmation and then pickup at counter with no shipping cost and online pricing.

use code reader/eraser like THIS

erase codes then do the sequence for setting system readiness. It's posted here somewhere.

I think here in CT we can get away with one "not ready" and still pass.

I had the P0420 through 4 emissions inspections by clearing the code, doing the dance and then straight to testing site.

Edited by brus brother
  • Like 2

Not sure it was throwing the P0420 evaporative system issue, was a little loose.  I'll try to run it through emissions later, I know a shop that passed my Outback which was a challenge with the cat converter issue.  My brother said the guy belongs in an institution to have passed it....

2 hours ago, ThosL said:

Not sure it was throwing the P0420 evaporative system issue, was a little loose.  I'll try to run it through emissions later, I know a shop that passed my Outback which was a challenge with the cat converter issue.  My brother said the guy belongs in an institution to have passed it....

P0420 is actually cat converter gremlin.

I was just using that as an example of my issue and the sequence I used to pass CT emissions for 8 years running.

I went into inspection after resetting the computer, it was not ready so failed.  Later drove around and CEL came up.

I got an evaporative emissions canister vent valve code at Auto Zone, said it is a $90 or so part, probably available a lot cheaper.

The beauty of having your own code reader is that you can do the driving sequence to get the systems "ready" and then scurry over for the inspection. Where are you located?  Are you following the below procedure? Do you have a code reader? I will be in Milford tomorrow late afternoon. PM me if you need to try my reader. It's an older version than the one i linked earlier but it will do what you need which is to erase the codes and then verify systems ready after following the below procedure before you go back for inspection. Check the price of the part you are looking for at SubaruPartsForyou.com and realize that if you order online you can pickup in Milford without shipping charges. Often just as cheap as AZ or Advance.

Edited by brus brother

Yeah, the code came up later.

I went to Auto Zone where other owners were trying to find what the CEL meant on their cars.  One guy had a 97 Mazda with an EGR code that is affecting performance.  I advised him to join the Mazda online forum and try to clean out his EGR with carb cleaner, etc..