Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Legacy 2008 power steering transmission fluid

Hey I have a 2008 Subaru Legacy the transmission fluid is constantly going low. And then the steering wheel locks up. Once I put more fluid in the powering sheering compartment the steering wheel is loose and I can drive. But only a few miles then it’s low again. There’s a brand new pump on the car so I know it’s not that. Can anyone pinpoint this issue for me ? It’s only 100,000 on the car. I don’t see any leaking under the car. But the fluid is disappearing 

Who put the pump in the car?

Did they bleed the air out of the system after the pump change?

I'd get  it up on jack stands or a lift.  Drop the plastic lower engine cover if it's there.  Start the car and turn the steering lock to lock while checking for leaks.  Watch the fluid level.

2 hours ago, Lonnie2008 said:

There’s a brand new pump on the car so I know it’s not that.

Okay, this sounds like it might be important....what happened that it was replaced? aftermarket pump or OEM? How long ago?

Turn the steering wheel all the way from right to left (there is no need to start the engine).  Easier done with the wheels in the air.  If the fluid level drops add more fluid.

That is how you bleed the power steering system.  Whoever installed the new pump probably did not bleed the system correctly.

Good luck,

Sam

4 hours ago, Lonnie2008 said:

I don’t see any leaking under the car. But the fluid is disappearing 

1. It’s leaking inside the tie rod boots. You need a new steering rack. 

2. It’s leaking on top of the engine. Which means it’s either the pump or lines.  Check behind and under the power steering pump on top of the block. It’s probably wet and pooled up.  New aftermarket pumps leak all the time. They’re all low grade quality. Subaru units are low grade with age and miles, so used isn’t a great option if you’re paying labor.

So don’t assume the pump is fine just be user it’s new. Being new makes me *suspect* it. If it’s leaking most shops give a 12 month 12,000 mile waarrahty and they should replace it.

3. steering lines:

Follow the power steering lines to and from the reservoir yiure refilling.  They can leak under the reservoir or at their opppsite terminal ends. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, idosubaru said:

1. It’s leaking inside the tie rod boots. You need a new steering rack. 

2. It’s leaking on top of the engine. Which means it’s either the pump or lines.  Check behind and under the power steering pump on top of the block. It’s probably wet and pooled up.  New aftermarket pumps leak all the time. They’re all low grade quality. Subaru units are low grade with age and miles, so used isn’t a great option if you’re paying labor.

So don’t assume the pump is fine just be user it’s new. Being new makes me *suspect* it. If it’s leaking most shops give a 12 month 12,000 mile waarrahty and they should replace it.

3. steering lines:

Follow the power steering lines to and from the reservoir yiure refilling.  They can leak under the reservoir or at their opppsite terminal ends. 

It seems the only reliable way to go is to rebuild the original pump with OEM parts, That's what I did on my '95 several years ago, it was quite a bit less than buying a new pump and it's worked perfect now for years.

1 hour ago, laegion said:

It seems the only reliable way to go is to rebuild the original pump with OEM parts, That's what I did on my '95 several years ago, it was quite a bit less than buying a new pump and it's worked perfect now for years.

That's the way to go for older models. Rebuild kits aren't available for 06-09 models. 

Oddly there's a kit for 05's  that isn't specified for 06-09 models even though 05-09 is the same generation and the pumps themselves are interchangeable. brusbrothers was attempting to use that 05 kit on an 06-09 pump but I'm not sure I saw what his finding were. 

16 minutes ago, idosubaru said:

That's the way to go for older models. Rebuild kits aren't available for 06-09 models. 

Oddly there's a kit for 05's  that isn't specified for 06-09 models even though 05-09 is the same generation and the pumps themselves are interchangeable. brusbrothers was attempting to use that 05 kit on an 06-09 pump but I'm not sure I saw what his finding were. 

Well, hopefully even without a kit available, there is a way to put one together from OEM parts? Maybe more expensive than a kit...but I'm willing to bet it's still cheaper than a new inferior pump...

Edited by laegion

41 minutes ago, laegion said:

Well, hopefully even without a kit available, there is a way to put one together from OEM parts? Maybe more expensive than a kit...but I'm willing to bet it's still cheaper than a new inferior pump...

Nope - none of the seals, gaskets or orings are available from Subaru for 06-09s. Earlier and later models are, but not 06-09. Which is specially asinine since the 05-09s are the least reliable pumps subaru ever made by 1,000 miles. I hate 05-09s just for their steering pumps and weak struts. They’re not even that bad as far as cars go but they fail at a far higher rate in 05-09s than anything Subaru ever made.  

This coming from someone who has owned 20 or so of Subarus first electric power steering pump equipped cars from the 80s. 

1 hour ago, idosubaru said:

Never did the rebuild. Just replaced the one O-ring on top and all was fine after that. Local dealer price was about $2.

• Thanks 1