Ultimate Subaru Message Board

94 Legacy difficult to exit park

Already know about the little switch at the head of the shifter. Will discuss that later. 

Wondering if there’s a vacuum related issue that causes this car to not want to get out of park and into any other selection. 

Recent issue, just seems to be getting worse. I can or until recently could just pump the brake pedal a couple times and you’d feel the pedal settle into its spot that will then release the shifter. 

But these last 48 hours or so things seem to be getting worse. I’ve had to pump the brakes a lot. I mean like when I’m at work I’m worried that somebody is going to think I have some medical issue or something with my brakes going on and off so much. Last night a guard drove over to me but at that last second the pedal went fully and I could move. So I looks pathetic when I’m trying to disengage park. 

Ok about that little switch. Past experiences I never noticed what I see in this car. There’s a screw head (Phillips) and that doesn’t seem to move. What am I failing to see there. Doesn’t look like the other automatic Subarus we’ve had. I found no success trying to push that down. Maybe I should read the manual !! But that’s why we have these cool conversations. Thanks ! 

Maybe I’m not seeing something. Will look further but this issue is still random. Sometimes it’ll work as normal but when it gets stuck it’s becoming a joke. 

I realize there’s a switch but the brake pedal feels like it’s holding a bit extra pressure until it gets so I can finally work the selector. Maybe the switch itself is a bit worn and sticking and on its way out which causes that pedal to feel as it does. So not maybe vacuum but it really feels like it with my brake foot. 

It’s an automatic so no hill holder. 

Yes Larry I always use the parking brake. Are you saying put the parking brake on before I turn the car off ? 

You can feel that brake pedal isn’t quite right, a little too much pressure. But then it seems to get that millimeter of travel when you can feel the brake pedal settle that tiny bit. Or it’s my brain. Always trouble with that thing.

I know this seems weird like why is this guy insisting it’s some pressure related deal and not just talking about the switch. Can that switch when wearing down create these symptoms? 

Probably haven’t changed out one of those since an early 80’s maybe Loyale late 80’s car. 

that switch is 100% electrical, so not sure how brake pedal "pressure" is making a difference.. unless there is something related to the brake switch that is affecting operation (the one that tells the brake lights to come on - and unless i am majorly mistaken, it also tells the shifter switch it is ok to release)

*see page 37 of the "1990 Legacy Wiring Diagrams" found here: http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Legacy_Outback/1990-1994/

going to toss this out there as something to try.. when you put your foot on the brake and are ready to move the shift lever, try pushing it forward just a tad, before pulling back..

• Like 1

Ok thanks ! 
Yeah that electrical switch has to engage mechanically and I’m just thinking that part of it might be sticking etc. Old school they had a plunger shaft and then I think the “hairpin” contact if I recall. 

So far the last couple of trips I haven’t had too much trouble with it. Seems playing with the parking brake at the right time also helps. Or it’s my brain again. 

But I’m going to try the method you suggested Heartless and see if that does anything.

• Like 1

when the cable broke on my 02 forester, i had the shift mechanism completely apart - cleaned and re-lubricated everything.. pretty simple mechanism in general
if you have the time to do it, might be worth while to get in there and have a look see.. make sure there is nothing physically getting in the way and everything is working the way it should.

the other alternative to malfunction would be the brake switch down at the pedal..

And now that i am thinking about it.. that could be the source of what you are feeling.. the plunger of the brake switch doing funky things... hmmmm...

• Like 1

It sounds like a micro switch that may have slipped ever so slightly out of position..just enough to intermittently operate.  I've been chasing a similar problem on one of my cars for years. I like the idea of the micro switch on the brake pedal as described above.

Just my 2 bucks

• Like 1

7 hours ago, moosens said:

Oh man lucky me I get to contort my body and stick my head down there. Ok next chance I get.

yes, lucky you.. not sure i could do that anymore.. between arthritis and fibro.. just too painful...
i miss the days that I could do pretty much what i wanted to do, when i wanted to do it.

my experience with the pedal thing that lmdew describes had to do with cruise control on a manual, and the switch was on the other side (above, not below) for the clutch pedal, but same basic situation.. the switch was not being depressed properly because of a missing pad on the pedal shaft.

• Like 1