Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1st Gen legacy wagon!

l75eya

I covered the rear most floor with a moving blanket that fits the width and then put the foam matting over that. 

Might get some Velcro to hold it down in the back. 

p16dsBJ.jpeg

Either way though, this wagon continues to impress me. 

Think I'll 5 speed swap it if and when the auto trans goes though. The trans is at 177,000 miles now. 

The engine is not original and I have absolutely no idea how many miles are on it. I had a picture of the odometer of the car I removed the engine from years ago (95 Impreza), but I can't find it. 

This engine came out of the donor car and straight into my 93 Loyale no maintenance, absolutely nothing but an oil change. I beat the snot out of it in that car for a year or so and then it sat without being run for about 2 years. Then I got that car going again for one last hoorah and beat the snot out of it again for a few months. 

Then I put it in this wagon and changed the oil again and I've been daily driving it now for 4 months or so. Impressive. 

• Like 2

I’m just catching onto this thread. I daily drive a 94 Outdoor Sport edition with a spruce paint color pretty much same as yours or slightly more blue. 

So I just skimmed through , haven’t given a good read.  It man I’ve still got a crap load or parts for that era. 

Speaking of Jersey pretty soon I’ll be back down there at NJMP for the motorcycle races. Would be cool to romp around the Barrens. Ours sure has a few times. And camped too. Acts as the family truck as needed. Has hauled engine crane and engines! 

Heck even my FWD 92 wagon did that. 

I really love these cars. I can’t believe I didn’t take one on until 2007. But once the bug bit me that was it. I’m infected. Lol 

Enjoy! Let me know what you need. I happen to have way too many cam seals. And some other NOS on my shelves. And plenty of good lights etc etc. 

Cheers! 

• Thanks 1

Well, she hauled a Chevrolet ecotec 2.4 liter 4 banger 100 miles up over the mountains. No sweat. 

Got roof rack mount bicycle carriers for it.

Installed a class II hitch on the back

Now I gotta find a good utility trailer so I don't have to keep going crazy trying to protect the interior when I have to haul an engine or something. 

Have a trans cooler to install as well 

Thanks everybody for looking at this thread!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

QNALBPf.jpegcargo carrier. Old Sears unit. Has a picture of a snail on it and says "X-cargo 😅

About doubled my storage space. Everything I had occupying the inside of the wagon is now safely stowed up top and because it's not a big SUV, getting up there to get to that stuff is pretty simple! 

Love this car. 

Yeah I had the x car go topper way back and then a second one came along after I’d finally given the first one away and missed it badly. 

Love these wagons. I’m letting mine kind of go to the wind with the body but it’s holding strong. I’m just not spending on the body. 

Love it so much I got the lifetime alignment at the tire shop because regardless of aesthetics I know it’ll keep rolling. 

That whole “2.2 Magic” thing took a while to hit me but once it did I’m simply sold for life. 

I think I had it in my profile or somewhere but it’s basically 70’s for fun and 2.2 for daily. Need nothing else really. 

Enjoy !!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, moosens said:

Yup! That's awesome. They're just great little movers for a small wagon. If you ever need that little bit of extra room taking the floor and the spare tire out gives you that extra height and if you remove the trim from the lift gate you get an extra 3 or so inches from the cut outs in the sheet metal 🤣

2 hours ago, el_freddo said:

That’s one tidy looking EA71!

Right? What did that wind up going into anyway moooooose? 

Moved the GL-10. I miss driving this car so much I can only wish the opportunity comes for me to swap an EJ into it and get it back on the road. 

Sitting has definitely not been kind to it but I am happy to report that the air suspension is still working somehow

U41ul17.jpeg

F2HQ40S.jpeg

Edited by l75eya

Working air suspension? Whoa !!! Enjoy that while it lasts. 

Thanks Bennie. It’s mostly the fresh paint that stands out and grabs folk’s eyes. While doing the engine at storage pretty much outside my unit much of the time any folks that drove by couldn’t help but either just about stop and look or at least rubberneck as they drove by. 

That goes into my 79 4wd wagon. I’ll bump up a story in Historic to further preview what I hope is a glorious event. 

But back to the the 90-94 Legs I’m just in its web right now. I’m not sure when I’ll get out. Lol 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2023 at 1:14 AM, l75eya said:

Moved the GL-10. I miss driving this car so much I can only wish the opportunity comes for me to swap an EJ into it and get it back on the road. 

Well opportunity has shown itself! 

jVu0PgF.jpeg

Iffin it were hard to tell, there's some junk in the back of that wagon...

SCORE!

iRfYo3q.jpeg

That's just what was in the back. The cargo carrier on the roof was full, too. 

So! Perusing the marketspot on the face space I stumbled across a gentleman with a bunch of Subaru stuff. A generous gentleman. Generous because he was giving his stash away. That's right; free. 

And on my way I suddenly found myself to somewhere in Virginia where I got

78k confirmed mile 97 Impreza EJ22 with matching running gear. 

I'm talking the trans

The entire rear axle/differential assembly (with Perrin sway links!) 

I'm taking the trailing arm/control arm things

The ECU

The cluster, 4 steel 15" wheels

The entire steering column 

Alternator

Starter

Fuel tank

You name it! 

I got pretty much everything I'll need to EJ swap the blue 86 now save for a wiring harness. 

The wagon was definitely floating along the road with that much load inside, but the suspension still had a little bit of travel. I had to take the hitch ball out though she was kissing the ground fairly often. 

I think I need to get a utility trailer haha

I love my little work horse. 

Edited by l75eya

13 hours ago, l75eya said:

You name it! 

Wiring loom! 

Why didn’t you grab the wiring loom?! That could come back to bite you later on. 

That’s a fair effort to fit that amount of Subaru into the back of the Legacy! Time for some stiffer rear springs? 

Cheers 

Bennie

On 11/6/2023 at 6:31 AM, el_freddo said:

Wiring loom! 

I know! If it were there I would have taken it too but, unfortunately, that wasn't part of this stash. 

I could definitely use a suspension upgrade not only for cargo capacity but towing support, too. 

I already had to argue with myself not to swap this stuff into the wagon and convert it to AWD rather than use it in my gl10. 

• 4 months later...
Posted (edited)

Okay, so; 

Got the utility trailer:

7oQWI2S.jpeg

Perfect size for the car if you ask me. Gotta lift the gate to back it up though, just can't see it in the mirrors.

Used it a lot: 

oOrb1UY.jpeg

0II7nX1.jpeg

Couple examples there. Very useful thing to have. 

But wait, there's more! 

Here's a picture of a pretty nice BRAT:

zk3H4ad.jpeg

Why am I putting a picture of a brat here? 

Well because the wagon towed that awesome little truck 230 miles home because it's now MY awesome little truck! Super happy! 

TZB0nR9.jpeg

3gK7A60.jpeg

Nothing but dang mountains half the drive, too. 

sBDKk2n.jpeg

Look for a thread for the brat in the future. 

1st gen legacy wagons are friggin' work horses. Love this thing. After I get the brat ready for service though, maybe I won't have to be working the wagon so hard anymore, she deserves a little lightening of the load. 

Edited by l75eya

Awesome score on the brat! How long before the legacy drivetrain ends up in the brat?? 

Enjoy it, but don’t overload it or throw crap in the back if you want to keep it in good condition. You’ve got the fun top version too, the best! 

Cheers 

Bennie

Nice score , congratulations! 

Ok you’re inspiring. Not sure if you heard but I managed to smash my 94 wagon up a bit. But I’ve got parts and I’m slowly going to revive it. 

Enjoy!