Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing belt broke, perplexed

'02 OB belt broke, said she was doing 70.  Pass side exhaust valves are bent.  Belt was 11k miles on it and it looked like someone tried to pull a stump with it.  I was expecting to find a camshaft welded or snapped, both were fine.  What am I missing?

PXL_20230627_234041104.jpg

PXL_20230627_234053796.jpg

Edited by opus

Is it a 5 speed? If so the Keeper above the crank shaft may have been mis adjusted ( saw this more than once ). If it was other than a Subaru belt, YES I have seen those fail also. Quite a few years ago even Gates went to a Cheap Thinner belt. The original coming off, even worn, felt sturdier than the Gates and others new going on.

Had seen about a half dozen with broken belts. Sent heads out for valve replacement, Put back together with Subaru Water pump, pullies and belt and ran for MANY more miles.

Auto.  I have never seen a belt break like this.  Not disagreeing with you though.    Its not like there is a lot of stress on the belt when its rotating.  

If something had locked up. I would think I would notice something on the cog side.  I'll have to take a better look.

I had new one break in a couple thousand miles that was in contact with a lot of oil from a leaking crank seal. Luckily a non interference engine, and it seemed obviously caused by chemical contamination. Though the picture you posted doesn't show any wetness, so I'm guessing it was clean?

You haven't mentioned timing pulleys - were any low on grease or seized?

If nothing else is obvious, Aftermarket parts are like that - it's not like they all fail, but I'd expect 1-3 early failures in 15 years from aftermarket timing belts.