Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wheels click when turning right

Yeah, it clicks when I turn right, slowly, and not giving it gas. It clicks from the driver's side. Could it be the shaft? I just put it in there not even a month ago. Oh and I know the brakes need replacing and the rotors turned/replaced. Could it be just the brakes? I haven't had time to look.

Sounds like either a internal or external CV joint.

Yeah, it clicks when I turn right, slowly, and not giving it gas. It clicks from the driver's side. Could it be the shaft? I just put it in there not even a month ago. Oh and I know the brakes need replacing and the rotors turned/replaced. Could it be just the brakes? I haven't had time to look.

Try jacking it up on the "click" side, and spinning the wheel. Could just be a rusted piece of the splash guard on the inboard side of the brake drum making contact and creating noise in turns.

What is this "rust" you speak of? In Oregon, we have nothing like this.... :lol:

GD

Rick-

Count your blessings. The splash guard behind the rear drums, and of course the rocker panels etc just go to hell with the salt on the winter roads here. I have my car "hot oiled" once a year. They probably don't allow this in Oregon, but here, the first time you go, the guy literally drills holes in all the doors and rear gate compartments, sprays inside with hot oil, and puts plastic plugs in the holes till you bring the car back for another treatment. With this, and the decent new paint job that the Vo-Tech boys did and my fourteen year old looks very good. But those splash guards can begin to mimic failed wheel bearings.

When this happened to me recently, I checked the torque on my axel nut (which was basically fine) and then found that it was that rusted splash guard. Pull the rubbing section off, and noise gone.

Rick-

Count your blessings. The splash guard behind the rear drums, and of course the rocker panels etc just go to hell with the salt on the winter roads here. I have my car "hot oiled" once a year. They probably don't allow this in Oregon, but here, the first time you go, the guy literally drills holes in all the doors and rear gate compartments, sprays inside with hot oil, and puts plastic plugs in the holes till you bring the car back for another treatment. With this, and the decent new paint job that the Vo-Tech boys did and my fourteen year old looks very good. But those splash guards can begin to mimic failed wheel bearings.

When this happened to me recently, I checked the torque on my axel nut (which was basically fine) and then found that it was that rusted splash guard. Pull the rubbing section off, and noise gone.

Wow - that is replete with the suckage. I totally believe you that it can happen tho. My friends 98 Audi came from Wisconsin - the rust was something else. We took the lug bolts (yes - bolts - it's a VW thing I guess) off and the wheel was rusted on. We had to drive down the street with the bolts loose and slam the brakes on a couple times to dislodge them. :eek:

GD

My experience with clicking involved replacement of the CV shaft (the obvious choice), then finding that the outer wheel bearing was rusting. Was afraid of the pressing of bearings, so I got a lo-miles spindle from B & R Pick & Pull, packed the bearings, replaced the seals and slapped it on. Voila! No noise!

My front-end clicks when turning either direction. Oddly enough I had the CVs and boots replaced about three years ago so I doubt those are the culprits. The bearings are an interesting theory. The disk pads are fine too.

So, sounds like my Loyale is about typical with these unexplained front-end noises.