Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I picked up an 05 Impreza OBS for a friend.  It was hit in the front.  The fellow that bought it from the insurance auction put a bumper on it.

Runs great, made the trip from NM to CO without a problem.  The headlighs are aftermarket and not good.  I thought no problem, should be able to pick some up at the  yard.

Come to find out, 2005.... are all unique cars.  I'm pretty sure, if I change everything, I could use 2005 - 2007 parts and may be more.  Parts for the swap, Fenders, Hood, Headlights, Bumper...

I miss the good old days!

19 hours ago, lmdew said:

I picked up an 05 Impreza OBS for a friend.  It was hit in the front.  The fellow that bought it from the insurance auction put a bumper on it.

Runs great, made the trip from NM to CO without a problem.  The headlighs are aftermarket and not good.  I thought no problem, should be able to pick some up at the  yard.

Come to find out, 2005.... are all unique cars.  I'm pretty sure, if I change everything, I could use 2005 - 2007 parts and may be more.  Parts for the swap, Fenders, Hood, Headlights, Bumper...

I miss the good old days!

Miss the simpler days as well. I've ran into issues with that area before fender, headlights, grille, hood all follow one anothers curves.  trying to figure out which of those need to be swapped to use different year parts.

Yea, GDs got 2 facelifts (and sedans got flared fenders, so sedans and wagons have different fenders and front bumpers). You can swap the entire front clip 02-07 with some modification to the core supports. You could also use a Saab 9-2x front clip, if you could find one.

04-05 headlights should all be interchangeable (there are likely a few different headlights that fit in that opening depending on trim. I know the STis had HIDs, etc.)

Edited by Numbchux

• 2 weeks later...

I had two '05 Outback Sports which I miss driving now. I believe there are a lot of aftermarket headlight options, including projectors to run LED/ HID bulbs in. Fun to drive cars and I got close to 30 MPG to boot. The '05 engine was a bit of an oddball too, as it was the first year for the EJ253, but starting in '06 it had variable valve timing. The '05 motor was solid as a rock in both of mine. 

I used to think the LEGO principle applied until I struck SF Forester AUDM. Physically not like LEGO when compared to same era Impreza. FPR comes to mind, injectors too - in our market. Throttle bodies differ. One is cable, other hydraulic for clutch. As for the electricals !! I prefer when my LEGO had a simple battery box for 3  of C cells, basic two pin plug and socket to run my train engine :) :)  

Ah you miss the point of the Lego principle with Subarus there Jonno! 

While the impreza and forester are based on the same platform, the impreza typically saw drivetrain upgrades before the forester models did. 

But everything’s interchangeable if you know what you’re wanting to achieve and learn where all the parts reside within the various models - or stumble across them. 

There are enough foresters around to seek parts from your particular year model if it’s a small or particular part to the foz. Can’t really say the same for the good old L series or MY line up for ease of parts availability. Still Lego if you know what you’re doing ;) 

My 20c

Cheers 

Bennie