Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1992 Legacy loss of power at the pedal

Hey guys. So my 1992 Legacy Wagon has an issue where nowadays I'll sometimes start the car and go to drive away, but I can feel that it's just not got all the power you'd expect from depressing the gas pedal. The revs climb higher than normal while my foot is on the gas, but there's not a lot of power delivery. It essentially just feels like it's stuck in 1st or 2nd gear maybe, but I don't know. Usually after driving at speed for a few minutes it tends to return to normal and I have full power when depressing the gas pedal. If it helps, I also have occasional hard starts and an elusive issue with my starter not wanting to start the car.

So, what do you think it could be?

You’ve got the basics covered ? Like fresh fuel filter and confident of your injectors, plugs and wires? Then the ignition coil can also have a hairline crack in it. 

It’s an EJ22 so it’s a proven workhorse. I’ve had many now and still retain a daily driver 94 wagon. 

Mine is the FWD automatic. I'll have to check out the fluid levels. I am not confident in the injectors because those are some of the only things I've not looked at yet over the years. Any recommendations for replacements if necessary? The coil and wires are newer so hopefully that's not the issue.

We had a 92 FWD automatic for a good number of years. I managed to find a replacement transmission from a board member back when. But I can tell you those transmissions are kind of tough to find. Only good thing is they are legitimate old lady transmissions and those are the few that still show up at yards or in your local. When they show up. 

But to me it’s a tough call. Given it’s age I would drain and refill the transmission. And the list I gave previously. Change the tranny filter. Not sure how involved you’d want to get but if you have a decent place to work on it maybe even drop the transmission pan and spray the cartridge and the valves etc. Nothing too crazy. You can also check the connectors while down and around there. Pan gasket and some RTV very lightly coated - but others may advise different methods. Fuji Bond is great and cheaper through a Nissan dealer from my local experience. But many of us have resealed those with RTV or another. 

As far as ignition again it’s tough but this reminds me of the old crack in the ignition coil deal. Any codes flashing ? 

The revving higher than normal and not the usual power sounds to me like it’s an auto issue. 

I can’t really help out as I’m not into autos and don’t really know how they work. You might be able to get the transmission serviced or overhauled if you’re wanting to keep the old school rolling for a long time to come. That engine is bullet proof if you look after it. 

Cheers 

Bennie