Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Posted (edited)

Hello Everyone!

The problem child is a 2002 Impreza TS with 145k on it.

Over the last week or so, my radio has been acting weird, I assumed it was failing since it's 10+ years old. The volume would randomly dip to 0, then back to 10, turn off, restart, sometimes even staying off, etc

Today, while on a drive through the mountains and coasting down a hill at about 70mph, the check engine light comes on, radio starts acting up, then the ABS light comes on and the tachometer goes to 0...all other gauges were working including power steering and brakes. Hitting the accelerator did nothing. I pushed in the clutch, gave it some gas, and RPMs went up, then fell to 0 again. During this time, the CEL was flashing (though not like the severe misfire flashing). Flashing and the radio volume were in sync with clicking relays on the passenger side (sounded like it was in the kick panel, but I'm not certain). ABS light goes off about 2 miles later, radio returns to normal operation and the car drives fine for another 70 miles.

Next long descent and all symptoms return. I took the next exit, restarted the car and it never happened again (another 200 miles until I got home). I later noticed that the clock on the dash had reset like it lost power (the time would indicate that it happened during the first instance. CEL turned off on the way home.

When I got home, I had two codes:

P0335 (stored) crank shaft position sensor A circuit

ABS 22: FR wheel speed sensor.

I went to scan again and the ABS module won't scan, and my code reader keeps disconnecting after displaying the p0355.

No work has been done in the last 4,000 miles and the car drove fine after the restart.

Thoughts?

Edited by Daskuppler

Posted (edited)

When you mentioned clicking relays, were they fast machine gun clicking?  And by chance does your car come equipped with the subaru security alarm?

Edited by nvu

6 hours ago, nvu said:

When you mentioned clicking relays, were they fast machine gun clicking?  And by chance does your car come equipped with the subaru security alarm?

It was slower than that, you could count them (but barely).  No Security alarm, it's the TS so it has almost nothing

I see, not the same issue then.  I had a security alarm module on an older 98 go bad.  It would toggle off and on really fast randomly, apparently it toggled the main relay along with it and would throw all sorts of lights.  All the issues went away after removing the module and rewiring the car back to stock.

4 hours ago, nvu said:

I see, not the same issue then.  I had a security alarm module on an older 98 go bad.  It would toggle off and on really fast randomly, apparently it toggled the main relay along with it and would throw all sorts of lights.  All the issues went away after removing the module and rewiring the car back to stock.

Ia had a similar issue on our Xterra,  it no "fancy" things on this one haha

-Battery? verify no corrosion on terminals.

-Check grounds - Subarus have them in multiple places around the engine. 

And on my Forester, w/the same CS sensor and same code   - P0335- I had a loose connector that caused a no start one day...but likely just forgot to 'click it' when I last worked on the engine. 

8 hours ago, wtdash said:

-Battery? verify no corrosion on terminals.

-Check grounds - Subarus have them in multiple places around the engine. 

And on my Forester, w/the same CS sensor and same code   - P0335- I had a loose connector that caused a no start one day...but likely just forgot to 'click it' when I last worked on the engine. 

I'll check it the CS wiring, it was likely unplugged when I did the head gaskets a while ago, maybe it didn't get quite plugged in. The battery is good, it's a red top Optima and only a few years old.

I'll check the grounds, hopefully it's something that simple.  I've not had an issue since, not even the radio which was pretty consistent beforehand.

Get your battery load tested. Doesn’t matter what brand or how old it is - batteries fail all the time. 

Some go a long time, some die a week after fitting to a vehicle. 

My 5c at this point. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Battery, starter, and alternator were tested and all were fine except reserve capacity in the battery. CCA and voltage were fine.  Car had been sitting about a week and driven for about 20 minutes prior to the test.