Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A leak I can't seem to find!?!?

Okay,

It started leaking coolant two days ago. Before that it was boiling and filling up the overflow tank. My gauge said that it wasnt getting above 1/2 though. I recently replaced the T-stat. I determined that it was boiling b/c i didnt have a good enough coolant to water mix (more water than coolant). I drained some of the coolant and refilled with straight coolant.

Anyway, now it's leaking. I can't seem to find where its coming from, but I can see the coolant and smell it burning (It's leaking onto the down pipe and burning off). I can only follow it to the small shield over the oil pump.

Does anyone have an idea of where it's leaking? My guess is the water pump...

thanks in advance,

First, I think you mean it is dripping onto the crossover pipe, not the downpipe. The downpipe goes from the turbo to the second cat. The crossover pipe goes from the engine to the turbo.

If it is dripping from the front of the engine, then it can be the waterpump, or from the hose that goes to the top of the waterpump is blown, or the connection between the waterpump and the waterpump-to-radiator metal pipe is leaking, or it can be leaking from the top of the engine at the intake gaskets and then it drips down the front of the engine.

Right above your oil pump is the water pump. Could be leaking from the weep hole or maybe it's just the O ring on the inlet tube. Prolly time to pull off that timing belt cover and find out :) You keep boiling over becuase you have a leak and therefore can not sustain proper pressure as the heat (and therefore pressure) builds up.

Do EA82 turbos have that little L hose from intake mani to block right up front, in the middle? I've had those leak since they come with a wussy spring clamp. That tends to drip right down teh front.

i just discovered a leak in my carbed ea82, the carb base gasket(s).

thought it was the tiny rubber tube from the thermostat housing to the

intake manifold, then maybe the passenger side intake manifold to head gasket,

then the radiator cap, then the waterpump.

nope.

base gasket.

going to price em now, might end up makin em.

went to car wash hosed the whole thing down with engine warm (not hot)

left the motor nice and clean and dry, saw the ooze between the gaskets :P

gotcha now leaker!

Thanks for the Ideas. I still havent had time to tear inot it a little to find the leak. Tommorow will probably be the day. It's hard to tear it down, find the problem, fix it/replace it, and put it all back together before I have to get ready for work.

Tommorow is my first day off in almost 2 weeks. I'm hoping that it is just a hose. The water pump is a lot more expensive!

Thanks for all the Ideas.

if you did mean the down pipe off the back of the turbo, there is a steel line that runs along the turbo head that comes from the bottom of the head, and leads to a rubber hose just below the turbo. be sure to check that one, as well as the hose on top of the turbo

I bet it's that little rubber hose that feeds back into the top of the water pump. It hard to see because it's under the power steering and a/c if you got all that crap. But if it was leaking it would dump out right where your saying. Hard to get to but cheep fix.

I always replace the cheepest, simplest part first. Occum's razor

With the water pump. it has a little weep hole on the top. If you can see coolent through than hole your pump is done.