Ultimate Subaru Message Board

wondering about some performance upgrades

Ok kinda new to the subaru world but I was wondering if there are any "hop up" parts that can be found on other cars that will interchange with mine. EA71 2wd with a manual tranny. I know with volkswagens you can swap a great deal of parts between years and get some impresive gains. My car runs great but it is a little gutless. Of course I know 68 HP(at best) can feel a little anemic. Any help is apreciated

Adam

'80 or 81 2WD DL - an interesting beast. Don't see many around.

Sorry to say that without changing tranny's, you have the biggest engine you can fit. The EA81 never came with the right bell-housing to fit your tranny.

If you go to an EA81 5 speed manual (or EA82 for that matter), you could fit the EA81 engine, which is about 80 HP for the later (83+) large valve version. Cam and EA71 pistons, with a Weber, and you are looking at over 100 HP easy. Probably on the order of 110 - 120 depending on a few small details.

GD

Want more power? Buy a different car :)

Morgan is spot-on! :lol:

Not too much you can do with an EA-71 if you're bent on keeping it - cam, exhaust, and weber (or highly sought after dual-carb setup) Nice car though, looks pretty; GD is right, pretty rare to see now'a'days.

A built EA-81 with an EA-82 5spd would move nicely in contrast to what you have now though...

- Erik - Tacoma, WA -

Morgan is spot-on! :lol:

Not too much you can do with an EA-71 if you're bent on keeping it - cam, exhaust, and weber (or highly sought after dual-carb setup) Nice car though, looks pretty; GD is right, pretty rare to see now'a'days.

A built EA-81 with an EA-82 5spd would move nicely in contrast to what you have now though...

- Erik - Tacoma, WA -

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I think I am going to keep it for the most part stock. It only has 68k on the clock and is clean through and through. I might see if I can resurect a 4x4 out of one of the junk yards here. (there are about 200 cars in the junk yards here that are clean) the only thing here that don't survive are the plastics.

Adam in NuevoMexico Alamoghetto

Nice Wagon!

Didn't "Little Roo" start life as a 1600?

http://www.angelfire.com/80s/rooinater/mods.html

You might find this helpful?

Good luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

Yes "Little Roo" did, but not an 80-81 (with round headlights)...

- Erik - Tacoma, WA -

(Racer - I've got some family down in Las Cruces, maybe we can meet up if I'm down to visit them sometime)

Yes "Little Roo" did, but not an 80-81 (with round headlights)...

- Erik - Tacoma, WA -

(Racer - I've got some family down in Las Cruces, maybe we can meet up if I'm down to visit them sometime)

That would be cool to have a little gtg here. I am mostly a vw guy but this subaru I picked up is kinda special and is making me into a ru guy. If only they made a 2 dr station wagon I think the longer doors would make it easier to get in and out. At 6'5" and 350lb I might be the biggest old subaru driver here.

As for cam where and what kind. Do 1800 heads fit a 1600 block (are the valves bigger)

I installed a 2 1/4" exhaust with a flowmaster muffler today (got a little peppier)

With the Weber carbs are there any more that fit I/E the 32/34 DGAS or DGAV

you can use the later (85-89 I think) EA-71 heads as those have the bigger vavles.

Assuming you can find a set :-p. Them're even more rare than that wagon he's got. And if you find one of those engines, you might as well drop the whole thing in, with a newer 5 speed. The 85-89 EA71 has the bell-housing like an EA81. Wacky stuff.

GD

That would be cool to have a little gtg here. I am mostly a vw guy but this subaru I picked up is kinda special and is making me into a ru guy. If only they made a 2 dr station wagon I think the longer doors would make it easier to get in and out. At 6'5" and 350lb I might be the biggest old subaru driver here.

As for cam where and what kind. Do 1800 heads fit a 1600 block (are the valves bigger)

I installed a 2 1/4" exhaust with a flowmaster muffler today (got a little peppier)

With the Weber carbs are there any more that fit I/E the 32/34 DGAS or DGAV

welcome to the sickness that is subaru lol I used to be a VW head once upon a time (hence the s/n lol) and there are a few big guys here trust me cause I am 6'5" tall also and at about 260 and I have met a few that are as tall or taller than I that thrive here and for the exaust I would recommend not goin with 2 1/4" but 2" cause that will overscavenge the engine and prolly burn a valve or 4 and since you are a vw head you prolly also know a few tricks that can be used on the cheap or with little money in fact bug pack carrys a few things that can be used on a subie :grin:

Delta Camshaft. URL: http://www.deltacam.com They do Suby cams.

As far as webers, the 32/36 DGEV is the most popular around here. Could use the 38/38 (I think) but that may be a bit much for the 1600; donno. Beautifull car too! Me like! :brow:

Thanks for the link. As for the webbers I kind of understand the abreviiations. A DGEV is a Downdraft, G?, Electric choke, V?