Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dumbest Question ever posted..Sorry

Hello All!

I have a check engine light on, and thanks to the wonderful help here on the board I now know how to check them. But at the risk of sounding as stupid as I feel, where in the HELL is the ECU? I have searched as many different threads as I can and I know what to look for on the ECU just don't know where it is.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. (And please, be gentle) Just really new to Soob's.

Thanks...DaGodfada:brow:

I think they started using true ECU's on the EA82 series (1985-on).

However, there may have been some early "computer controls" on the older Subes to manage carb/emissions. These would have consisted of self-contained components, sensors etc. They were not fully integrated, as with the ECU systems.

I believe these devices became mandatory around 1978 for all passenger vehicles.

John

I been lurking around here for a few weeks now and learned alot from these crazy suby ppl..My check engine light has been on in my 92 Loyale wagon since I bought it a year ago..I finally learned about the ECU and ran the codes..bought a manual to tell me what the codes were...Low and behold ..it was the EGR sylinoid!

Just wanted to say quick that its nice to know I am not alone with being a die hard Suby fanatic..specially with the old ones.

That's not the dumbest question ever. The dumbest question ever was: "Why did Qman put solid rear axles on his Brat?" :lol:

LOL, because subaru's are never going to be able to what a live axle vehicle with good support can. He gets the best of both worlds.

I am for it %100.