Ultimate Subaru Message Board
river2surf

Switching a digital speedometer

Is there a way to switch a digital speedometer from MPH to KPH? I am going to be in Central America for 7 months and would like to convert the system to metric. I am thinking that this is a ECM issue that can not be done, but trying to see if anyone knows.

1989 Gl10 w/ 5 speed manual trans

Thanx

Is it a manual or auto? I think there is a button on the trip computer. On my 86 digidash there is a button on the very left side of the display that changes the display, but I'm not familiar with the 89 and I cant find anything in the FSM.

Theres a jumper behind the dash on the 87 +.. Jeez. havaing mine stored somewhere else is a real PITA sometimes.. I can't just go look at it.

Well, after pulling my dash apart, and looking at another digi dash, I can not find this switch you are talking about. If anyone has more information, I would really appreciate it. I am leaving on Sunday and will be spending 6 months driving around Central America and would like my spedo to read KPH instead of MPH.

Bummmmmp. Does anyone have an answer for this question?

I am now in Canada and I have no clue how fast I am going. Helllllp!

I dont see a switch on the trip computer or on the dashboard. I am on the road, about 3000 miles from home, and tearing the car apart looking for a switch doesn't sound like much fun right now. Any help would be great. Thanks.

I got to go through this during a road trip to canada also

for a rough calculation, take the kph, divide by 10, and multiply by 6

so, 100kph / 10 = 10kph * 6 = 60 mph

After a little while you get good at it... :rolleyes:

there should be a button on the trip computer on the dash ... anychance of you taking a digital pic and posting it of the dash?

nipper

My '85 with the digital dash had a button next to the A and B trip counters that changed it. If I still had the car, I could tell you exactly where, but I don't any more... I think that was still before the US decided to completely bail on switching to metric, so they may have made it less easy later. The owner's manual doesn't say?

I never did find a switch!!!!

Checked a digi dash in a junk yard and could not find a switch there. And nothing down at the buttons for the trip computer.

I think it may be in the computer!

I have an 89 - GL10.

I drive through Canada a lot, and I've just memorized the approximate conversions for common speeds.

65mph=100kph

55mph=90kph

45mph=70kph

35mph=50kph

25mph=40kph

hrmm its not the computer i thought it was...

Oh well, just learn that 66mph = 100kph

nipper