Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello to all Subie maniacs . . .

Way cool site. I am the proud new owner of a 1985 Subie GL. Yes, it's brown. 5-spd, on-demand 4WD, just the basics. Two questions for the board; 1.) Does anyone know anything about speedywheels.com and their Desert Rat rims? I saw that they had a 4x140 bolt pattern (no joke) on a 14x6 wheel. 2.) Will an EJ22 fit in the '85 Subie? Aaah, yee of curiosity and way too much time . . .

welcome to our humble forum. if you have any questions whatsoever, you can most likely answer them by searching for posts on the same subject using the 'search' tool. just for future reference.

dunno about that rim schpiel, if those were around i woulda thought they would be more popular round these parts... the forum parts, that is.

yes, its possible to drop an ej22 in an '85. a member named mudrat79 does them. see this thread: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=19341

There are a few sets of desert rats floating around the forums.. Some of the older members may know where they are..

Main thing is, This place is full of people who don't want to, or can't spend a ton of cash on a 20 year old beater (myself included).. So desert rats give way to cheaper alternatives like pugs, 5 and 6 lug conversions...

Welcome.

Seek and ye shall find.

Desert Rats are also known by us Aussies as Sunrasiers or Sunnies.

Both wheels pictures below are Desert Rats. By default they're white with a red and a green stripe around the edge of the rim.

DSC00866.JPG

It should be noted that several cases of wheels falling off cars have been attributed to the not quite right fit of these wheels. One of mine came off doing around 50MPH. The bad fit of the wheel basically caused the nuts to slowly work their way off and I had about 10 seconds of wobble / noise then the passenger front wheel fell off and I left a 300ft cut in the road where I dragged to a stop.