Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rust Proofing and POR-15

I have been doing some reading on different threads and it seems that people are impressed with POR-15 rust proofing. I would like to keep my Brat as rust free as possible so I was thinking of picking some up and applying it to the wheel wells, floor panels, and gas tank. Can anyone suggest other places that will need some rust proofing protection, or places that I should be care not to get any on. Thanks TMB

yes it is like a rhino liner , , make sure you spray it on , on a warm day and no wind, and about 12in away , it will take 1-2 days to dry ,depends on how thick you spary it on , but only put it on the underneith , extend work on rust, i did my 88 dl d/r wagon , which had no rust and i wanted to keep it that way

Those wal-wart cans are called "duplicolor", it is probably the cheapest bed liner you can buy(rhino-liner are unavailable to indiviual buyers). You could buy several cans and do the work or buy like a half gallon tank kit(comes with a roller, a brush, and a spray can) then brush on the flat part of the body, and places where you can't brush on, you use spray. Which ever will save you money. Also if you want to spray on the bed of your Brat, I recommend using a herculiner over duplicolor. Probably better than duplicolor but not as good as rhino-liner. If you do several layers of herculiner will do the job. They are available at Shuck's.

Dan

I'm doing some work right now (on a wagon). I don't know the Brats very well, but I believe you can get to the problem areas thru the access panels on the inside of the bed.

POR is supposed to be a very good product, but is too expensive to use on our Subes (IMO). POR is what I plan to use on my 67 Mustang restoration.

I've had good luck with Extend in the past with good prep (this is very important). I ususally cut all the rust-thrus out, and wire brush surface rust. Then I blow the dust out with compressed air.

Rubberized undercoating is a good topcoat over the treated areas anywhere that's not visible. On the car I'm working on now, I plan to experiment with roofing cement. This would be even more cost-effective than rubberized undercoating - if it works!!

good luck, John

Thanks for all the tips, I wouldn't have thought to try the access panels in the bed that is a good idea. An under liner/extend comination sounds like a good way to go. I found this link while searching, don't know if the problem/solution exists on other models. . . http://www.subarubrat.com/wheelwell.htm but it looks helpful.

I just used some POR 15 and the stuff was $30 a can. It also went way further then I thought it would. I did the entire tub in a Fullsize Blazer in two coats. I still had a lot extra so I went over the frame and here and there and still had extra. I then went over the top of it with Hurculiner. Turned out real nice.

My understanding is that POR-15 is a rust encapsulator. It will cover what rust you have and prevent any further spread. It is a little pricey, but if you have a nice car and want to keep it that way then this stuff might be the ticket.

I have a low-rust hatch (by east coast standards) that I plan on using the POR stuff on. Heckuva lot cheaper than doing bodywork a couple years down the line. Just a thought.

I have been doing some reading on different threads and it seems that people are impressed with POR-15 rust proofing.

I just dropped $50 bucks on a can of POR, as well as the metal prep that goes with it. The cleaner/degreaser they sell looks to be Simple Green with another label, so I'll just get that at the store.

Anyway, I'm gonna clean up the rust aound my rear fenders/bumper, before it's an issue. Prolly do it this weekend, so I'll post about how it works.

it is mar- hyde , rubberized undercoating from wal-mart 18oz can , repels water, prevents rust, deadens sound, flexible, red can black cap
considering using something like this for the interior of my hatch.

since i will be in and out while wheelin with who knows what on my feet and the occasional beer that decides to bite it on the floor.

i think a rubber coating would make clean up rather easy and prevent that funny odor that beer seems to cause when mixed with car interiors carpet...

i know its off the topic of the thread sorry!!!!

I think I am going to go with a POR 15 undercoat and a herculiner/rhino liner type product over the top.

Before you buy POR-15 check ebay there is a por-15 dealer that sells the stuff for the same price per quart as the por15 website but offers free shipping, which will save you about ten bucks.

I think I am going to go with a POR 15 undercoat and a herculiner/rhino liner type product over the top.

That is what I did and it came out very nice! I would do it again. The POR15 needs good prepping to stick to non rusty surfaces though. I washed mine out and then hit it with a sander to scruff up everything. Two coats of POR15 and then roll on Hurculiner. Before the Hurculiner I also went over the body seals with 3M body sealer and let it dry.

RustBullet is a better product. www.rustbullet.com

Here's there sale!

Summer time is over and it's time to get those projects done. To help we thought we'd offer a few specials for those signed up for the newsletter. Only those who have this option check in their account get the special so take advantage of it if you need.

We have 2 specials running for you this WEEKand NEXT week only

These codes are valid from 10-06-2004 thru 10-15-2004

Get 20% off the ALREADY discounted price on our 4 pint specials. Regular price is $87.96 and the speical brings the price down to $79.00 for 4 pints. Now take another 20% off for a final price of $63.20 plus shipping, This special will never be seen again. Take it while you can. Use CODE OCT20 on checkout. the 20% discount will onlt apply towards the 4 pint special.

The next code gets you 10% off your complete order. Use code OCT10

You can only use a single code per order and can not combine codes. You pick the code you desire.

This code is only good for website orders and is not valid for phone orders.

That's all we have this month, As always Thanks for your trust in Rust Bullet, and pass the word. We are always happy to help you with application and usage questions.

Dave

Pres/Ceo. Rust Bullet of Texas

1-866-351-RUST(7878)

http://www.itkillsrust.com

Todd