Ultimate Subaru Message Board

On Board Air on ea82

I can't think of anywhere a belt driven compressor could be added without losing existing AC...At least no on an SPfi/MPFI model.. perhaps something could be done on a carb model that has had a bunch of the crap stripped off of it.. dunno.

you could go with a compressor/tank for the air suspension.. I guess it depends on just what you intend to run off of it.

Doubt the AC will even work on one you find. A couple people have just used that same AC pump for on board air. I have an old AC pump that I took out of mine if you want one to test with and not worry about seizing it up.

You could sacrifice power steering and add it there also. a York MIGHT fit there... never held one up to find out. I have no problem turning 29"x8.5" tires with no power steering. I ripped all that junk out... AC and PS. Lots of extra weight and some power stolen from the crank... not much but when you have less than 100 to begin with it ads up :)

Could go with an electric setup. The XT, XT6 and GL10 had optional air suspension. In the front drivers side fendor youll find a spiffy little compressor with air tank. Junkyard upgrade !_!

Yeah I was thinking that converting to the elcetric power steering from a XT6 might be able to be swapped out for added room. That or a huge hood scoop..... :brow:

As for OBA, I really like the engine driven compressors. on my 4runner I have a rotary York that I can air up my 36x13.50 Irok's on 15 x10 rims from 5 -18 psi in 7 minutes for all FOUR tires from the time I park the rig to the time I'm ready to roll again. And for that size of tire thats a LOT of air.

But I guess with these small of tires (27-30") range they don't require teh type of air that my rock crawler takes so I might just be able to get away with a air tank and filling up the spare to 70 psi...

I'm just trying to decided what I want before I dive in a purchase a car......

It would be tight. It might be easier to use a Power Tank setup. I run a Yorks on my Blazer and it is a big heavy thing. I've thought about dumping it and just going to compressed gas to save the weight and the complexity of the system.

Here is one link :http://www.powertank.com/start.htm

You can put your own together for less then $100 if you look around. The real expense is in the regulator.

I have a small compressor from the Air Susp system on a mid 80's Caddy. if you heep the hose short it will work okay. not speedy, but provides air.... I have one of those yellow coil up hoses on it, but I think having such a long hose with the small psi doesn't work too well.... I have extra wire with it, so I can wire it to the battery or off a 12V socket.