Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'81 sedan value

I recently located an ad for an 81 Sedan locally, and I am wondering what the vehicle may be valued at. I haven't looked at it yet, but let's assume that it is in fair to good condition and runs well.

If that is the case, is $600 too much?

I know that a lot of you have more experience buying and selling in the early subaru market.

Thanks

MatrixOps

I recently located an ad for an 81 Sedan locally, and I am wondering what the vehicle may be valued at. I haven't looked at it yet, but let's assume that it is in fair to good condition and runs well.

If that is the case, is $600 too much?

I know that a lot of you have more experience buying and selling in the early subaru market.

Thanks

MatrixOps

I would say that'd be top end for a rust free 2WD ea81 soob in the midwest....

Thx McBrat,

Your response has brought up a question though. I looked at the 1981 model year brochures linked to on the front page, and although it didn't specify, did the 81 GL Sedan come in 4wd? Or is that a stupid question? I am wondering because they do show 4wd Wagon and Hatch models in the brochure, but not coupe/sedan 4wd models.

Just curious.

I talked to the retired gentleman who owns it and will be stopping by to see it this afternoon.

MatrixOps

That would be the most I'd pay for something that old. It would have to be in perfect condition to bring that price around here.

If it was a good shape one I'd think $400 would be fair. Esp. if it's not 4wd.

Good Luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

thx for all the replies, it has been quite informative.

I went by and drove the car today, it is in pretty decent condition. Very clean and quiet running engine. No odd tappings/knocks at all. Pulls strong in all gears up to 3rd, but seems to catch a bit when shifting down from 3rd to second when decelerating. I didn't get a chance to drive it on the highway so 4th and 5th weren't tested. The shift linkage has quite a bit of play although a skilled hand can find the gears without much problem.

It does need a tune up as indicated by a brief hesitation upon acceleration. The odometer shows 163k miles, which made the strength of the engine feel odd to me. Which brings me to a question: if the sedan was a flat towed vehicle, would the towed mileage show on the odometer? I am not completely familiar with how the speedometer/odometer is connected. I have heard of some vehicles that when flat towed actually register speed and mileage.

The body is in fair condition, with some oxidization of the paint (black) and some cancer on the drivers side rear door and both rocker panels near the rear wheel wells. This brings up another question: anyone know of a good source for rocker panel patch panels? And/Or where I could get ahold of a front bumper if need be? The custom/home made tow bar bumper is on the vehicle right now and looks pretty cheeseball.

I surveyed the under carriage, and didn't notice any other rust on the pan.

The only operational deficiency I could find with the car is that the muffler is gone. A quick search on the internet at parts dealers indicates that this would cost $75 to purchase.

The gentleman who owns the vehicle came down to $450 while I was visiting with him, but from considering information found on this board I probably wouldn't feel comfortable offering him more than $300 with the cancer and needed exhaust repairs.

Is there anything else in particular I should look at on this vehicle prior to making an offer?

Thanks for all of the help.

MatrixOps