Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Should I trust a salvage transmission?

A tow company was stupid and towed my 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback all wheel drive on two wheels (has to have all four off the ground) and destroyed the transmission. My insurance company will be fighting with there's, but my company only wants to pay for a salvage transmission to be installed at about $2,300.

They won't consider the other options, an overhaul ($4000) or a new/rebuilt one ($5900). I can see the logic in not paying for new...but my wife (who drives the car) and I are just plain leary of having a salvage transmission, even if it comes with a 12-month warranty.

I wonder who drove on the thing and whether they kept the car maintained and did any damage to the internal parts that will show up, say, around month 13.

My superstitious wife thinks it's just bad ju-ju to drive with something other than our own transmission.

Should we fight the insurance company, or are we being stupid, and would an overhaul done by the Subaru dealer be better?

A tow company was stupid and towed my 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback all wheel drive on two wheels (has to have all four off the ground) and destroyed the transmission. My insurance company will be fighting with there's, but my company only wants to pay for a salvage transmission to be installed at about $2,300.

They won't consider the other options, an overhaul ($4000) or a new/rebuilt one ($5900). I can see the logic in not paying for new...but my wife (who drives the car) and I are just plain leary of having a salvage transmission, even if it comes with a 12-month warranty.

I wonder who drove on the thing and whether they kept the car maintained and did any damage to the internal parts that will show up, say, around month 13.

My superstitious wife thinks it's just bad ju-ju to drive with something other than our own transmission.

Should we fight the insurance company, or are we being stupid, and would an overhaul done by the Subaru dealer be better?

If the used transmission has a 12 month/UNLIMITED mileage warraty, with NO DEDUCTIBLE costs to you, I would go for it. You have a USED trans in it now, they will not give you a new or rebuilt one.

Getting a salvage tranny could be getting someone elses trouble. The towing company should pay for a new one, a rebuilt one at least. If they have to put out the money, maybe they won't be so stupid next time. Everytime I have had a Subaru towed, they have flat bedded it. Had to have my Impreza towed just last Tuesday.

A. The tow company, or their insurance company, should be paying for the damage to your car. Sorry, I didn't notice your state... in Mass. I would pay out of pocket... it would be cheaper :(

B. Fight your insurance to pass the liability to their insurance, you were not at fault and remember, they were contracted to pay for YOUR indiscretions, not to absorb someone else's, if known... not "hit and run". The tow company was the offender, you hired them in good faith on the assumption that they knew the proper method for hauling your particular type of vehicle.

C. Do not accept anything but a new transmission, to be installed with labor, and a rental for you while it's in the shop by the tow company's insurance, it was the tow company's ignorance that was the cause of this and ignorance is no excuse for the law. Your car is young enough to get a new transmission. DO NOT accept rebuilding it, even with a warranty, (the inconvenience factor). No judge in this land will disagree with this advice. Should all else fail, I would take a salvaged transmission over a rebuilt any day.... be sure it has been tested... most reputable yards will have the mileage and many will have the circumstances for the acquisition of the donor.

Having had some body work done recently the insurance company offered to warranty the work for as long as I owned the car (at no additional cost to me) if I accepted the use of "their, non OEM" parts. If you can't get new, require that they will replace it again if it doesn't last the lifetime of the car. Insist on it; you didn't ask for this grief.

insurance companies are flexible - but you have to be persistent. they won't budge unless you're serious...but if you are, they will up the amount. there is no *law* that says they can't give more. they will give whatever it takes for them to avoid being sued, but as little as they can get away with in general.

a friend had someone total his 80's volkswagen with a ton of miles that he had spent a ton of time rebuilding...all stock, nothing performance really. but the motor was perfect. it was totalled. of course the insurance said they'd give him like less than a thousand for it. he gave them hell and they eventually coughed up to actually fix the thing in entirety...a few thousand dollars on an early 80's VW. he had to threaten to sue, but they eventually caved. have a lawyer write a letter and results may go your way. talk to a real estate attorney or a *nice* attorney, they'll do legitimate stuff for cheap, but they're still a lawyer. or write it yourself and send it return receipt verification mail.

I'm suprised your getting even that (assuming it was towed for being illegally parked or something like that). They have no responsiblity in PA if you are doing something illegal. Assuming that isn't the case here's your compromise. http://www.woodfins.com sells used trannys with up to a 3 year warranty (of course they'll pay more that way) but that way you get a longer warrany on the core. Installation isn't included but then if it fails alls you have to pay is the installation.