Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Opinions on used part prices

There is a auto yard that has the parts I need for my '86 GL-10, but having never bought stuff for this car before, I'm not quite sure if these are good prices...

Front air-suspension struts (with 60 day warranty)- $125 ea.

Front headlight assemblies (complete)- $50 ea.

Front bumper (in perfect shape)- $125

These prices are for "pulled" pieces in perfect "used" condition. The place is a lil over an hour away, so there would be no shipping cost.

Any thoughts? I can go without the bumper honestly, it's just bent a little...but I need the passenger headlight for sure (the lens is missing a huge chunk) and the passenger side air strut (the height sensor isn't working)...and probably the drivers side strut as well.

Kinda high in my opinion. (Actually, very high retail.) You are not getting a deal. Personally, I would rather pull the parts. That way I have the hardware and can continually reevaluate my decision in the process.

This car is nearly 20 years old and not of collector interest yet. Consider the yard paid between $50 and $250 for the entire car.

Regards, Todd

Kinda high in my opinion. (Actually, very high retail.) You are not getting a deal. Personally, I would rather pull the parts. That way I have the hardware and can continually reevaluate my decision in the process.

This car is nearly 20 years old and not of collector interest yet. Consider the yard paid between $50 and $250 for the entire car.

Regards, Todd

It's a bit of a tough pill to swallow for a car I bought for $500. I've got a mild mental budget for getting it up and running to my liking, and these purchases would take a fairly large chunk out of said budget.

But on the other hand...I did pay next to nothing for the car, and with these parts everything that "needs" to be replaced will be. With the exception of some other small change minor work, the car will be fully functional and driveable. And since I NEED to have a working car here...it may be worth the cost of parts to get them ASAP.

In regards to pulling parts...I have no problem doing that with headlights, bumper, etc. But with the suspension...unless I can "test" it to make sure it works, it's a bit of a gamble. At least these ones are warrantied, albeit a short time.

Crap...I really need to get this machine on the road...and since I usually work 6-7 days a week...to make a long story short...I'm getting promoted at work so my sched this week has given me two full days off, plus the majority of another day. After this week...I will be a rock solid 7 days working.

Sadly it comes down to the price of time. I'm going to putter around here for a bit longer and see if there is any way I can get these parts (mainly the struts...I can hold off on the headlights as long as I don't drive at night!)...if I can get these struts HERE by Thursday day for cheaper...I'm going to have to pay the cost of convience here :(

I also think that those prices are quite high.

Should be several Pick-A-Part/Pull-A-Part yards in the SF Bay Area. (Unfortunately, the only one I remember is in SJ. :( ) I got a 4 bumpers for less than $50 total. Headlight was around $15-25. The struts shouldn't be such a big deal, as sensor failure doesn't seem common, and examining the rubber for minicracks around the flex area and also looking for leaking oil should do you.

But I like JY shopping and hate dismantling yard "Boutiques". One of my favorite yards near Emeryville/Berkeley from the 70's went Boutique, with a showroom (tiled floor, glass walls, etc) where they displayed engines and transmissions. Prices skyrocketed...

I also think that those prices are quite high.

Should be several Pick-A-Part/Pull-A-Part yards in the SF Bay Area. (Unfortunately, the only one I remember is in SJ. :( ) I got a 4 bumpers for less than $50 total. Headlight was around $15-25. The struts shouldn't be such a big deal, as sensor failure doesn't seem common, and examining the rubber for minicracks around the flex area and also looking for leaking oil should do you.

But I like JY shopping and hate dismantling yard "Boutiques". One of my favorite yards near Emeryville/Berkeley from the 70's went Boutique, with a showroom (tiled floor, glass walls, etc) where they displayed engines and transmissions. Prices skyrocketed...

I live in Walnut Creek (right where 24 and 680 meet)...and for whatever reason I've had extreme dificulty finding local auto yards.

San Jose would actually be a bit closer than going to Rancho Cordova near Sac...

I'm going to PM/email you to see if you can remember the locations/names/anything about these other places...I'll go right now! JY shopping is MUCH more fun than those fancy Boutiques...you are absolutely right. I remember one year, for a friends B-day, I went to a pick-and-pull place and grabbed random stuff off a 928 S4...put 'em on a box, gave 'em to a friend with a note explaining "Porsche 928 kit! Some assembly required. May need additional parts." It was a HIT. :D

But whatever it comes down to...I need to have those parts TODAY actually. Crap!

Tach-O:

Sounds like a "professional" salvage organization to me. They are asking reg "retail" prices for those items. This is what a body shop would charge for the parts. Labor would be extra of course. The "wholesale" price would be about half of what they quoted you. You might try to offer to pay them wholesale price in cash, but they usually won't do this. They don't like dealing with do-it-yourself types.

You need to find some "second" and "third" tier yards, or private sellers in your area. Impound lots and towing companies are another cheap source of parts - if they happen to have what you are looking for.

Too bad you are all the way out in California. I could fix you up with those items for a song if you were around here.

good luck, John

PM'd you back.

San Jose PAP was off of Monterey Highway near-ish Capitola. Take 680 to 101 south to Capitola exit (not the 680 Milpitas one), hunt around a bit on each side, I may be way off! by 4-5 miles. Bernal is too south, SJ city center is too north.

Oakland off of 880 near Winton, couple of streets of wrecking yards. Used to be, at least. Should be SOMETHING in Walnut creek area. Forgot to mention Emeryville/Berkeley used to have some off of 80 along Frontage Road near street to UC Berk... GILMAN! I remembered!!! :banana: I have no idea if those are still there, used to look fo Triumph parts on the 70's.

And like I said, ask the members. rallyruss lives in SJ, adn several others live in the area.

Luck!

There are a few Pick-n-Pull yards around the Bay Area, no need to go all the way to Rancho C or San Jose.

Caution! Do NOT do business with Pick Your Part (orange octopus logo) in Hayward..major crooks!

Here's a link to Pick n Pull: http://picknpull.com/.

The Newark (Fremont) yard usually has a good supply of Subes.

Good luck:) !

Woot! Found what looks like a great pick-and-pull type place...same one that NV Zeno mentioned.

It's funny...but the internet is almost a handicap sometimes! I was struggling with google searches for "junkyard" or "auto salvage" for the Bay Area...then I realized...Hey! I've got a phone book! Analog search here I come.

So I'm grabbing my coveralls, going to head over to the 'rents house to take a quick gander at bolt sizes, put myself together a big box 'o tools, and gonna do some hunting!

Mmmmm....junkyards. SO much fun.

Thanks for all your help folks. I really appreciate it. Having come from www.NASIOC.com (way back in the day when it was still I-Club), it seems that no matter where I go the Subaru community freaking rocks. Thanks!

tools you'll need....

17mm wrench and socket

12mm wrench and socket

14mm wrench and socket

10mm wrench and socket

19mm for lug nuts

3" and 6" extension

ratchet

:D:D:D

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! Awesome...simply awesome.

Gonna bring the 2 foot cheater bar too ;) Ya never know sometimes...

There are a few Pick-n-Pull yards around the Bay Area, no need to go all the way to Rancho C or San Jose.

Caution! Do NOT do business with Pick Your Part (orange octopus logo) in Hayward..major crooks!

Here's a link to Pick n Pull: http://picknpull.com/.

The Newark (Fremont) yard usually has a good supply of Subes.

Good luck:) !

Told ya about local members! They know...

BTW, that place in SJ is a Pick Your Part (thanks NVZ for jogging the old neurons.) My only beef with SJ is that they nickel-and-dime on everything. The lights in the bumper are extra (full yard price), and the bracket on the back of the headlight is extra... $100 bucks for an engine, but better be stripped to the block or spend time at the counter figuring what is left on it so you can pay for them.

I'm gonna hit up the Oakland place first...then San Jose if they don't have what I need.

If they've got decent inventories I'll post up what I found here for others future reference.

I gotta stop babbling and just get the hell outta here! I've got my list tools I'll need...just one quick pit stop and I'll have all my gear.

WOOT!

This machine is going to be on the road FRIDAY. I can't wait :D

Dont' know about over there, but in new zealand, new light assemblies are still available. I bought one two years ago for NZ$100. I have found on many ocasions over here that the new price of old subaru parts is only 10 - 15% higher than that paid at a wreckers!

... I have found on many ocasions over here that the new price of old subaru parts is only 10 - 15% higher than that paid at a wreckers!
SSSHHH!!!!! Don't give our wreckers any ideas!!! :lol:

A lot of the "mainstream" wrecking yards here (the ones that have interchange books and radio/internet connection with other yards for parts searches) set their prices at 50% of new. It is a cold, desperate day that I visit them.

I'm in on this one......

Way High! :eek:

Check in the Market place section of the board and I think you'll find some of that crap for free!

I had the headlights and frames I tried to give away and couldn't do it.... :-p

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer--what would anyone want those parts for anyway????

01 Forester--all the parts and then some...

... Check in the Market place section of the board and I think you'll find some of that crap for free!

I had the headlights and frames I tried to give away and couldn't do it.... :-p

Did someone say FREE??? :slobber: My fav-o-rite word!

Do you still have any of this FREE headlight stuff? If so, for what?

Sorry for hijacking, but he is WAY gone to the JY already. He won't mind (much) if we talk behind his back... :brow:

I'm gonna hit up the Oakland place first...then San Jose if they don't have what I need.

If they've got decent inventories I'll post up what I found here for others future reference.

I gotta stop babbling and just get the hell outta here! I've got my list tools I'll need...just one quick pit stop and I'll have all my gear.

WOOT!

This machine is going to be on the road FRIDAY. I can't wait :D

Welll...how was the "shopping trip":brow:?

Eh...the trip was both good and bad. The place had a ton of cars but very few Scoobs sad to say. I was able to find a coupla GL's (sedan, wagon and hatchback)...all mid 80's. One turbo, most automatic N/A. One 4WD. NONE with air suspension though, so that part of the quest failed :(

But I was able to get two perfect (and I mean perfect) front headlights, a brand new coil, and a buncha lil interior stuff (mainly the HVAC buttons) and a new corner light for a grand total of ~$53...NICE!

One thing that made me NUTS though was I found 3 wheels...the flat spoked (7 maybe?) on a hatchback (13 inchers). Only 3 though...with a "regular" 1. Argh! I shoulda just picked up the 3 and hunted down a 4th somewhere...oh well, I can always go back.

No good bumpers, no air struts, but a buncha other stuff including the headlights that I desperately needed.

I think I'm just going to rig up a manual air computer on the dash somewhere and call it a day :D

Sounds like at least you had some fun hunting.

...One thing that made me NUTS though was I found 3 wheels...the flat spoked (7 maybe?) on a hatchback (13 inchers). Only 3 though...with a "regular" 1. Argh! I shoulda just picked up the 3 and hunted down a 4th somewhere...oh well, I can always go back.
UMMM... You might want to get some advice on which wheels will fit your GL-10. I discovered that my '85 is picky about offset (?), in that the early spoke wheels will interfere with the brake calipers. Made it a real pain when we popped a tire and had to make an inexpensive quick-fix. Haven't tried my other GL/GL-10, but assume the same problem.

"The worst day JunkYarding is better than the best day working."

Ah yes...offset...the destruction of many an RS wheel bearing. When we (the US) first started getting the "better" version of the GC chasis the aftermarket here was pretty weak. So people were tossing on wheels left and right...and with the sensitive offset issue and wheel bearings...people were replacing wheel bearings left and right.

Always on the hunt for cheap mods though ;)

Does that front strut leak down? Could you just spoof the system into filling it and then pull the wires on the solenoid? Worked for me...

You know, the sensor in the strut is pretty dirt simple, just a magnet and a reed-switch. Kind of surprised that it is giving you trouble. Shouldn't be too hard to spoof it at the sensor wire. If no one better steps forward on your other thread, I can try to help you out.

And long term, still the option of asking the members for a strut...