Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So how fast are they...

I grew up with a 82 Hatch, When I think of old Subies I think of Slow cars.

I never had a Turbo, GL-10, RX, I don't know much about their speed capabilities or performance capabilities.

What are the factory performance specs for the old Turbos? :confused:

How fast are they?

Just curious,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer--never been to 75mph yet

01 Forester--rarely goes under 75mph.

Well if your talking actual engine specs as far as hp/torque I will point you here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/80s/specs/mechanical/engine-specs.html

As far as actual feeling really fast.. well..For the weight of the cars the EA82T's are quite good actually. They can get these cars moving. The turbo won't make your neck snap by any means, but 75mph is cruising speed..120 is not un-heard of. Kinda have to get on them a bit, up in the RPM range to get to the power, but that doesn't bother me. I'm sure some of the mods the other guys have done have cured that problem though. The others who actually race their's will have better info for you.

Going from a N/A Turbo block in my XT to a True turbo engine in it was a noticable difference. Acceleration was much more rapid, although the exhuast got WAY too quiet with the turbo. Hit the speed limit rather quick. Had to fix the uppipe, and after that, full boost occured around 2000-2200rpm. Raced a new cavalier with an ecotec engine up the freeway onramp once, and it dropped about a carlength back by the time I merged onto the freeway. They scoot, but nothing spectacular. Cant wait to throw in a MPFI XT engine, full compression and get that Oh so sweet exhaust note back :D

Wont be turbo, but it will run, and be 5spd D/R 4wd!

-jay

Stock, they are SLOW. But quicker than the non turbos by a bit.

When you mod them...intake, exhaust, intercooler, up the boost, add fuel, cams....they are quite a bit faster. Ive outrun a many 2.5 RS/WRX on autocross courses with my RX and GL-10.

my 89 RX...had cams, intake and exhaust...stock boost and no IC...but it was stripped out. Just a shell with a seat and dash. That thing was FAST. 130 MPH=no problem. It would get there in a hurry. But...misinformation on using copper headgaskets and later on using some no name from napa HGs...the car only had 8 days of glory...4 days at a time with a 2 week break inbetween. :-\

It was never a WRX beater by any means...but my wagon was able to best a Legacy GT with stock header, an intake, WRX IC, and catless exhaust with the stock piping and running about 13.5 PSI on the stock turbo.

I grew up with a 82 Hatch, When I think of old Subies I think of Slow cars.

I never had a Turbo, GL-10, RX, I don't know much about their speed capabilities or performance capabilities.

What are the factory performance specs for the old Turbos? :confused:

How fast are they?

Just curious,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer--never been to 75mph yet

01 Forester--rarely goes under 75mph.

Compared to your Hatch, you'll think you're flying, then I'll give you a ride and show you what a fast Subaru feels like.

My two Subes are at the ends of the spectrum, the ’87 wagon is carbed with the 3AT and the ’87 RX. I haven’t driven a non-RX turbo but I’d bet they lack much of the sport feel that the RX has. See with the RX its really just the perception of performance, it really does feel much faster/quicker than it is. What the Subaru engineers did right was to put the handling and power right in the normal driving range for a street car, back and forth to work, freeway ramps, stop lights, the RX feels like a race car. It’s well mannered and feels very nimble and is the best/funnest daily driver I’ve ever had, but when pushed beyond “sporting” style driving it starts to show its econobox foundation… it is NOT a sports car. As a comparison, I have a ’74 Datsun 260Z with about 160 hp and near the same weight as the RX, around town it doesn’t feel near as nimble as the RX, but when pushed hard it whoops up on the RX and doesn’t even come close to feeling near its limit. On the same freeway ramp the RX gets to the top of third at 75mph, the Zcar (with a 3AT) will be just into third at about 95mph.

Gary

My two Subes are at the ends of the spectrum, the ’87 wagon is carbed with the 3AT and the ’87 RX. I haven’t driven a non-RX turbo but I’d bet they lack much of the sport feel that the RX has. See with the RX its really just the perception of performance, it really does feel much faster/quicker than it is. What the Subaru engineers did right was to put the handling and power right in the normal driving range for a street car, back and forth to work, freeway ramps, stop lights, the RX feels like a race car. It’s well mannered and feels very nimble and is the best/funnest daily driver I’ve ever had, but when pushed beyond “sporting” style driving it starts to show its econobox foundation… it is NOT a sports car. As a comparison, I have a ’74 Datsun 260Z with about 160 hp and near the same weight as the RX, around town it doesn’t feel near as nimble as the RX, but when pushed hard it whoops up on the RX and doesn’t even come close to feeling near its limit. On the same freeway ramp the RX gets to the top of third at 75mph, the Zcar (with a 3AT) will be just into third at about 95mph.

Gary

Guess what, all EA82Ts are the same per each model year, there was a little change in 87, but the non-RX turbos and the RX turbos are the same engine. The difference is in the gear of the trannies and the suspension.

I still think my hatch handles better, but the struts/shocks are slow on it so it has better damping. And the suspension is crap on the RX (except for the struts, they're pretty much perfect) (that’s the only conclusion I could come too besides it just doesn't have the power to over drive its self) but the RX has more power, and its faster. It will get me in trouble if I'm not careful :)

The July 1986 Motor Trend that I'm reading right now clocks the 3dr Turbo 4WD coupe at a 0-60: 10.57 seconds with a 1/4 mile of 17.74 seconds at 78.6 mph. They are not at all fast considering a standard WRX hits the 0-60 in less than half the amout of time.
Where can I find more magazine articles for the RX turbo here? I was looking for them here can couldn't find them. If I have time, I'll stop by the library and get microfilm print outs of articles for the RX Turbo around that time (1984-1989).

I did the same thing for the XT6 a while back and sent the microfilm print outs to a friend on the XT6 group to post up.

http://www.ptrlabs.com/xt6/articles/