Ultimate Subaru Message Board

clunk.....clunk....sound after lift install of steering

monstaru

i drove her for the first time today around the neighborhood and had a bad sound

My recently lifted wagon makes noise when steering.... as far as I can tell it's the extended steering shaft clunking. I've more or less traced the vibration back to there, and it happens at the same point on every turn of the wheel ie; if it clunks when my hand is at 12 oclock and I turn the wheel, it'll clunk again when my hand gets back to 12.

I've choosen to ignore it.

Mike, you would know if it was rubbing if you couldnt steer. The problem I had was steering from lock to lock. The struts would catch on that hump, and would keep the strut from rotating. Resulting in a loud "THUD" once it did get past the hump.

Not sure if this is what Monstaru is having, but it might be the source of his problem.

-Brian

i was supposed to address this today.didn't happen.tomorrow will be the day of reckoning.baccaruda and i looked at the situation and it appears to be the top of the strut mount hitting the fender.and then the strut spring is flipping around and clunking as it seats in the proper spot.......i believe it simply needs the bfh.we will see tomorrow.

that's exactly what it was doing. we'll take care of this tomorrow.. (sunday)

Mike, you would know if it was rubbing if you couldnt steer. The problem I had was steering from lock to lock. The struts would catch on that hump, and would keep the strut from rotating. Resulting in a loud "THUD" once it did get past the hump.

Not sure if this is what Monstaru is having, but it might be the source of his problem.

-Brian

Did you have any other symtoms with this? I have had hell trying to figure out what is going on with my lifted '78 brat. When it shows a loud clunk is it hard for you to turn the steering wheel, then once it clunks it frees up and you can continue turning the wheel? I have noticed a shiny spot on the fender near the strut, maybe that is my problem.

thanks, dp