Ultimate Subaru Message Board

heater problem 86 spfi a/t sedan, fan does not work

i posted before , i checked 1-2-12 fuses, all good, checked power at blower motor no juice ? i am looking in my haynes for wiring , where would the relays be located for the heater or would it be something else ? a few months ago we changed the heater core ,thanks for the help

There should be a clip just off the blower motor that you could tap into to see if the motor works.

My guess is the motor works great and the resistor is toast~

Good Luck

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer--just hooked up the blower yesteday--It's cold!

01 Forester--you could cook thinks with this heater!

im pretty sure the resistor pack is seperate. there are 3 screws that hold in the blower motor. the resistor pack is kinda back by the back screw closest to the firewall. there are 2 small screws that hold it in, i think. and there is a plug that plugs into it.

hope that helps.

someone please correct me on this but if you are looking for the relay...

i think it is to the left of the steering wheel as you sit in the driver seat, up under the dash, there is a bracket there with like 4 relays in it...

i think one of those is for the blower motor.

if the resistors are bad i think the motor would still work on the number 4 speed, so could be the relay.

again, this is just from my own experience, not trying to lead you astray.

maybe someone else will chime in that knows more. this guy could use some heat, its gettin cold out.

heres what I did. last winter I had the same problems. What I ended up doing (and is still on the car to this day) was get a good 30 aMp toggle switch and run a hot wire from the battery (with a fuse) to one of the contacts on the blower motor, and then run another hot wire to the switch, ground the switch and then connect the other wire off the switch to the other tab on the blower motor.

Caution - This bypasses the resistors and you will only have the fan on full speed. its been like that for a year now, and havent burned up a wire or a fuse

just an idea

hey torrxx-

i did the same thing on a car last winter also.

did not want to resort to the ghetto fix when giving advice. i thought i was the only one that did that stuff.

its a good way to go- you can have heat, drive the car and try to fix the problem when you get a chance.

well there is no power there , i will look at it in the morning , i am not sure about the resistor at the blower motor ? i do have several spare blower motors if that is the problem , or is there a resistor on the blower motor or are you talking about the resistor pack that controls the speed of the fan ?

Jim:

If the fan does not come on at all, it cannot be the resister.

I would probably troubleshoot at the switch next, and see if you are getting any juice there. That will give you some better clues. Your Haynes book should have a diagram in back for the heater control circuit.

good luck,John

ah Jim

did you by chance finish reading my post?

to quote myself:

" A second post shows your problem and

how changing the relay solved it."

I refered you to the post for the resistor block location.

I believe you do know how to use the search function?

Power is not fed through the resistor block.

Battery voltage is constantly present on the motor when the key is on.

The resistor block controls the ground for the blower motor speeds 1,2,3.

The switch then puts full ground on the motor

for high speed (4) thus bypassing the resistor block.

Power is not fed through the resistor block.

Battery voltage is constantly present on the motor when the key is on.

The resistor block controls the ground for the blower motor speeds 1,2,3.

The switch then puts full ground on the motor

for high speed (4) thus bypassing the resistor block.

If you didn't have that schematic in front of you, I'd say that's a pretty good theory...