Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hauling with a Brat

I just bought a new house which is a fixer upper. I need a truck, preferably a Brat so I can haul 2x4's, decking, plywood, trees, landscaping stuff...etc... So I guess my question is... how well would a brat haul these things? Mostly worried about plywood and decking material. I'm 25 miles out of town and a 1000 foot in elevation climb to 5200 feet. I can't bare the thought of not buying a Subaru, but I might have to. :(

Thanks!

You might run into the problem of the wheel wells being narrow. I know that 3.5ft wide pieces of plywood will not fit between the wheel wells of my wagon. As for the cargo capacity, the recommended capacity is 850lbs passengers and cargo.

Now from personal experience I have drive my wagon from Portland to Klamath Falls a few time with enough weight to ride the bump stops the whole distance. The trip included a 3000ft climb up a mountain pass. The Pass level is about 5200ft. Most of the climb was spent in 3rd gear going about 55mph.

Yeah - don't use a BRAT for it - too small, and too rare to abuse that way. You wouldn't want to haul playwood in it - won't fit between the wheel wells. You could get a hitch put on it tho, and pull a small trailer with that stuff in it. You would be better off buying a cheap beater full size truck. Please don't destroy another BRAT this way. They are hard enough to find in good condition without someone buying them up and using them to haul house debris with. :madder:

GD

Get a brat and use it to haul plants and other small stuff. Have the heavy things delivered for you. Home Depot offers delivery.

No need to buy a truck just to haul a couple loads of plywood. Spend $60 and have it delivered, then go buy that $900 brat you saw in the paper for the small stuff!

That way, you can finally lift your hatch and give the Legacy to your woman :)

-Brian

Ok, we need to something about these stupid icons. What does a dancing banana have to do with a Subaru Brat.

And like i said before, dont haul bricks and plywood with your brat. Pay Home Depot to deliver it.

You can go spend $2000 on a beater chevy, haul everything you want, pay $60 for a tank of gas every time you want to haul something, and have a ugly, rusting, beater chevy parked out front with your 4 Subarus (and yes, Jeremy has 4 Subarus).

OR, you can pay $20 or $30 to have Home Depot deliver it to your door. Spend $900 (i remember you saying you found a $900 brat Jeremy) and use the brat to haul the smaller stuff like plants, fertalizer, paint, tools, hardware. Spend $20 for a tank of gas, and have a BRAT to park next to your other sweet rump roast subaru's.

Doesnt seem logical to me... to spend money on a truck, if all your going to do is haul equipment... unless you are a contractor.

-Brian

Oh, and P.S.

notice how i have no stupid banana's

Get a flatbed trailer, and use the truck to pull your monster soob to and from the mud.... but yeah - other than that, junkie is right - delivery is a good way to go. And if you have anything REALLY nasy - like a bunch of debris from a remodel that need to go to the dump, just rent a trailer and tow behind the BRAT. Full going down the hill, and empty comming back up.....

GD

Screw it, toss it in the brat. A $900 isnt going to be a mint brat. and even tho they are rare, its a utility vehicle that should be used as one.

My car is near mint. Few dings, but you dont see me crying when i toss my tool box in the back. Get line-x or something to protect it.

But anyhow, case is... if you need a vehicle to do some work, and you are a member of the USMB, then you know the kind of answer your going to get from me.

To answer your original question that you posted in your 1st thread. You should have no trouble hauling tree's (get the small ones, they will grow later) and landscaping material. Plywood should not be a problem, the store will give you red ribbon to tie around anything that sticks out of your bed. But pay to have the large stuff delivered, dont pay for another vehicle you have to register and maintain.... unless its a brat :)

-Brian

If you're getting a fixer upper house, invest in an old chevy.

Find the right one, and you can spend 1,000 dollars on something you will be able to pass on to you children

Mine has 350,000 miles on it and is still going strong. Also, it has never broken down on me. Nor did it ever break down on my dad who owned it before me

Don't haul a bunch of heavy/large stuff in your poor little brat, and if you are working on an old or fixer house, as I have done, you will quickly find out what an inconvenience it can be to wait and pay to have stuff delivered. I tend to believe that those that think otherwise have never owned an old house.

In a pinch, I have hauled sheetrock and plywood and all up on the roof of my turbowagon (brother was borrowing my truck). that was ok.. didn't have any problems. My thule rack almost seems to have been made for it:D .. However. I don't recommend doing this in large quantities:confused:

When I bought my first new Brat in 1980 the book

said capcity was 800 pounds including passengers.

Did I listen? of course not. First thing to go is rear wheel brearings. Another new Brat in 84 book said the same thing. Did I listen? No. More new wheel bearing. I don't over load my 86, I learn quick HUH.

LOL