Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ram Performance Engines

I was just reading on the website for RAM Engines and they claim 140hp from a NA ea81.

They use dual port heads and tuned intake and exhausts

can these heads be put directly on a ea82 with out any special stuff other than a intake to suit and a dual port exhaust header???

I was just reading on the website for RAM Engines and they claim 140hp from a NA ea81.

They use dual port heads and tuned intake and exhausts

can these heads be put directly on a ea82 with out any special stuff other than a intake to suit and a dual port exhaust header???

You know the way to horsepower is to spin the engine to higher RPMs while keeping the torque curve from sagging. What RPM does the quoted HP-peak occur at? I have heard aero-people talk about 8-9k RPM... do you want to run this fast on the street, with resultant narrow powerband?

I might... :grin:

You know the way to horsepower is to spin the engine to higher RPMs while keeping the torque curve from sagging. What RPM does the quoted HP-peak occur at? I have heard aero-people talk about 8-9k RPM... do you want to run this fast on the street, with resultant narrow powerband?

I might... :grin:

This is a quote from http://www.ramengines.com/ 140hp@5700\140lbs torque@3400 RAM Ea81 MPEFI Dualport

Craven

ive also noticed in my Gregory's manual, that the firing order is, looking from front of engine,... Front Left, then Rear Left, then Front Right, then Rear Right.

Which means that two exhaust pulses travel down the same header directly after each other then there is a space of two where there is no movement down the pipe.

So is this setup benifical to the scavanging effect or would a seperate exhaust pipe from each cylinder be better???

(RAM Engines claims that the secret to the high power in these engines is tuned intake and exhaust pipes which has an air ram effect)

Thanks

... So is this setup benifical to the scavanging effect or would a seperate exhaust pipe from each cylinder be better???

(RAM Engines claims that the secret to the high power in these engines is tuned intake and exhaust pipes which has an air ram effect)

Thanks

It all depends...

In general, individual runners/pipes will give better result then "siamesed" runners/pipes. The length of the runner/primary pipe determines what rpm will be optimized, and the straighter the pipe and the fewer cross-section changes the pipe has, the sharper the effect will be at the target rpm, giving a strong but "peaky" torque band. If you primarily want an increase in torque, then a tri-Y header with small diameter primary pipe usually works best. If you want raw horsepower, you choose a 4-into-1 with larger primaries.

The stock EA81/EA82 does little or nothing to optimize exhaust scavenging, and the intake does even less. A little bit of work on both would probably give some good gains. Running un-siamesed ports and individual runners would net even more.

What I would like to do is build a pipe that has a separator that extends into the exhaust port, and run individual primary pipes into a tri-Y. Lots of work, and probably require stainless steel for the separator.

The other thing is that tuned length really isn't about "ram" effect, but using transient positive and negative pressure waves to enhance valve operation.