Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Interesting things i found tonight

Well..working on the ice racer tonight. i found some things.

I was installing the VF-11 Turbo, Ripping off the Exhaust manifold to make a new one, installing the intercooler, and some other crap i found myself just staring at the fueling system.....IT SUCKS!!!

it seems that the Fuel "rail" system for the EA82T motors is a horrible design. There's no way that each injector is getting the same amount of fuel flow and pressure.

So...i'm gonna make a central fuel rail, with equal length tubes to all 4 injectors. It should help a pile.

One thing i know is that we keep on blowing up the Passanger's side pistons, and whenever we blow a motor up it is almost always that side. Cracked, melted, burned, blow whatever pistons... It's obvious from the fuel rail design that this side of the engine simply isn't getting enough fuel, causing lean burn and detonation.

Oh yeah...stock manifold is a POS...that's already in the dumpster..but you all knew that already.

I'll take some pics once i get everything finished....

Right now the intercooler is mounted, hole is cut in the hood, piping is made. i just need to make a new manifold for the VF-11 and plop that on there. Then see where she makes boost....hopefully not too high....orelse....anti-lag it is.

It's interesting that you mention what you did for the passenger side fuel injectors and all. I remember reading that one of the reasons that side had problems was because of the amount of heat the turbo produces near #3 cylinder. What you propose may be the case as well.

I remember reading about this same thing at NASIOC. It always seemed that there was a problem at the #3 cylinder (sometimes #4 for some people). The same things were brought up there as was brought up here (turbo's positioning to failed cylinder and the design of the fuel rail).

I've also seen an mention of the water jacket design maybe being different near #3 cylinder. Can't remember were I read that at.

Does anyone here have any pictures of the design of the fuel rail that they can share with everybody so we all can have a better understanding of what's being talked about? I'm at work but I wouldn't mind taking a pic when I get settled at home.

It's interesting that you mention what you did for the passenger side fuel injectors and all. I remember reading that one of the reasons that side had problems was because of the amount of heat the turbo produces near #3 cylinder. What you propose may be the case as well.

I remember reading about this same thing at NASIOC. It always seemed that there was a problem at the #3 cylinder (sometimes #4 for some people). The same things were brought up there as was brought up here (turbo's positioning to failed cylinder and the design of the fuel rail).

I've also seen an mention of the water jacket design maybe being different near #3 cylinder. Can't remember were I read that at.

Does anyone here have any pictures of the design of the fuel rail that they can share with everybody so we all can have a better understanding of what's being talked about? I'm at work but I wouldn't mind taking a pic when I get settled at home.

Hmmm.... that's interesting. I haven't looked into this issue much, but I have noticed something peculiar now that I think about it. When I rebuilt my first n/a ea82, all the pistons except one were pristine. I can't remember which one it was, I'm pretty sure it was either 3 or 4, but more likely 3. The turbo engine I have apart right now has exactly the same thing going on.

Has anybody else noticed this among n/a ea82s? I haven't had many apart yet so I don't know if this is a trend or a freak of nature. If that is a trend, it would indicate that it's not due to the fuel system or the turbo heat, but something inside the block that causes this.

If that is a trend, it would indicate that it's not due to the fuel system or the turbo heat, but something inside the block that causes this.

I can understand the turbo part but why would it rule out the fuel system? I don't know if the fuel system is designed the same N/A as their turbo counterpart. If they aren't the same than I understand now.

I hope this isn't a cooling issue as far as the coolant and/or oil flow passages. This would seem difficult to remedy. :-\

MPFI and turbo systems are the same except fuel injectors.

I'm talking about SPFI/carbed systems, which at least in theory give exactly the same fuel delivery to each cylinder. It would rule out the turbo heat and the fuel system as causes if all of the EA82 variations have the same problem.