Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Possible head gasket or ??

My Suby i'm afraid may be on its last legs. It's starting to burn large amounts of coolent (white smoke, smells like coolent)... mainly on startup after sitting, but lately its been doing it for longer until the engine fully warms up. There isn't any coolent in oil or the other way around, but I can't think of what else it could be besides one of the headgaskets.

Take a serious look at the intake manifold gaskets. These are often problematic, and fail often if non-OEM gaskets are used. You might try tightening the bolts a little bit and seeing if it changes anything.

Are you getting bubbles in the coolant while running or anything else indicative of HG failure?

Parts are still readily avalible for the EA82 engines. Its the other small things like body parts, interior parts etc...that are either only in JAPAN at this point, or "obsolete/inactive" which means its gone forever.

The only thing with the engine parts that I have found to be O-I are the actual service tools.

I can get you any part you need for the car. New, OE, stright from SUBARU.

When the trans. modulator diaphram(?) rupures or breaks, tranny fluid is sucked up the vacuum line and into the cumbustion chamber, which then shoots out copios amounts of white smoke.

BUT, if you're smelling something like coolant in the smoke it is definetly not the mod.

When I originaly read you're post I missed the part where you mentioned smelling coolant burning,