Ultimate Subaru Message Board

NOS what do you think?

nitrous...

i was thinking that our little subarus NA might be able to handle some.... i was thinking somthing along the lines of a 35hp shot of course a wet set up..

anyway what do you think........

A 35hp shot is not going to be much fun. It's not worth it.

I have some experience w/nitrous and drag racing. I have personally never saw a dry kit not run lean. A wet kit is definately the way to go. It seems that FI motors respond better that carb motors (my personal experience). IIRC, NOS and Nitrous Express HP numbers are based on a 350ci engine. A cheap way to to determine air/fuel mixture is to read directly off of an O2 sensor with a voltmeter. If you are serious about running nitrous I would recommend reading a book or two on the subject (very good stuff!), Summit Racing has several. NO2 is very fun, but be considerate of you pistons (particularly if they are hypereutetic). A friend of mine and I ended up rebuilding his LT1 after breaking a ring land. After that, we tried to educate ourselves. The car turned out better in the end (350HP, 400ft-lbs w/o; 460HP, 585ft-lbs with), after we knew more.

A cheap way to to determine air/fuel mixture is to read directly off of an O2 sensor with a voltmeter.
Agreed! I am using a Jumptronix digital air/fuel ratio meter for keeping track of the O2 sensor's voltage.

http://www.jumptronix.com/whatsnew.htm

I'm not sure if that site is down or the pics just aren't coming up. It's possible it's not being sold anymore. If that is so, that's too bad. I really like that air/fuel ratio gauge. It has a switch on the back of it also so you can read battery voltage.

That's odd! My ER27 hated it. Always ran too lean using a 50hp shot of Zex DRY nitrous. EGT's would shoot over 1600F so I'd shutdown. ??
maybe that was you problem? just a guess thou

and subaruBrat, does this mean you have ran nos on yours? (er27)

dry Nos= BAD IDEA. nos needs fuel
JWX is right! Go with a wet kit. Remember our cars are old. My XT6 had professionally cleaned stock injectors that probably flowed a little better than they did brand new and it still wasn't enough to prevent a lean running condition when running nitrous. Imagine how a stock injector that hasn't been cleaned in 15 years or so might operate.

I've had a lot of success running a dry nitrous setup in my Outback Sport. I'm sure others here have had similar or even better experiences with a dry setup. It just doesn't seem as safe to rely on your stock fuel injectors to provide fueling for your car since stock injectors are usually rated not to be able to handle a whole bunch more horsepower than stock.

Having fuel injected with the nitrous through a wet kit while having your stock injectors operate as they normally should, should get you a better nitrous/air/fuel mix in your cylinders. If anything, the only thing you'd have to be concerned about is puddling of fuel in your intake manifold.

i was thinking a wet kit on my ea81 in my 79 wagon. im going to be going with a little bigger tires. but i know that an ea81 can wimp out on power on steep hills so i was thinking a little shot of nos would be nice. im interested to here how subarubrats set up is working.

as to 35hp is not alot........

hum our motors put out 80 hp at best maybe 100 with mods and 30 hp would make that alot of improvement.....

have you ever driven a stock EA81? they're SLOW

I think what Morgan may be getting at is that even with a significant increase in nitrous (Let's say a 100hp shot), the car will still be 'slow'. If for drag racing purposed, that'd probably be a low-high 14 second EA81 depending on the weight of the one this 'high' shot of nitrous would be in. It'd probably not be worth it.

Now on a EA81T or EA82T, that's something else. The nitrous on top of the turbo (especially with an intercooler) would do some interesting things. One probably would be breaking a lot of stuff. :lol:

i was thinking a wet kit on my ea81 in my 79 wagon. im going to be going with a little bigger tires. but i know that an ea81 can wimp out on power on steep hills so i was thinking a little shot of nos would be nice. im interested to here how subarubrats set up is working.

as to 35hp is not alot........

hum our motors put out 80 hp at best maybe 100 with mods and 30 hp would make that alot of improvement.....

thought i had made it kinda clear anyway here gos again.

i have an ea81 in a 79 wagon with a 81brat trany so i have an 79wagon dr 4speed ea81. now im going to be using this car as a project and will be lifting it some. and going with bigger tires. i want NOS for a little bit of impovment on hill climbs and the like when the ea81 boggs. i will be running 27-29 in tires

my buddy with an 84wagon with stock tires was allways bogging on the hills we would try and climb in 1st gear. and so i dont want that problem with mine...

I don't think you'll find alot of support for NOS on this board, I'm looking at a wet kit for my offroader with 29's. I have a fresh motor with the usual mods for a turbo but I want low end torque so I'd have a NOS setup that is for off boost and then it would taper off at say 1-3 psi. Take a look at DIY sites they usually have some good writeups and aren't selling anything, if they are then take their info with a chunk of salt. The thing with NOS is that it costs a bit for any REAL amount of additional power, Theres your tank, the hoses, the extra fuel injector, NOS injector, valve and jetting, any relays or safety circuits plus all sorts of other crap and things I've left out, oh yeah and refills. If you literally have money to burn, and fast go for it.

I really dont think you will need it with nothing larger than 29" tires. Your friend needs to floor it harder. I've done some SICK hill climbs; stick EA82 SPFI and 29"s. Sure it can bog down.... why? Cuz I didnt hit it hard enough at the bottom! Every time I've bogged down I've made it up the climb next try ... or the one after ... gots to be a throttle jockey in a Subaru.

Hitting a burst of nitrous while you are bogging down on a hill is asking to break something IMHO. Now if you are going with tires as big as SubaruBrat then you might NEED NOS :brow: Personally I wouldnt want all that extra BS onboard while offroading. Just more crap to break or malfunction on the trial.

Why not wait till you get the big tires on and hit some tough trails. Then see if you still think you need a nitrous kit.

(dont forget to floor it :lol: )