Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Darn GL-10

Hey all. I have a 1987 Subaru GL-10 Turbo. I have a few questions.

What makes the injectors fire? Is it the posistion sensor? And I believe my #3 cylinder is dead. IT wasn't before I resealed it. It has spark...so my guess is it's the injector. And how can I check to see if the injector is actually squirting? THanks all, it's been a long day.

[HTi]Johnson

Oh yeah...about the timing...there isn't a vacuum line coming off the disty...is that normal? And I have a place where a vaccuum line goes...in the back of the manifold...what's that?

EDIT::

DANG I just read on the USMB Repair Section...Timing Belt Check and Adjustment. I installed the belts wrong.. I put both dots up at the same time...on the cam sprockets!! NO!!:banghead: Damn Haynes manual...is probably says something about that...but I just looked at the pictures! AH MAN!:banghead:

We all make mistakes!!!!

I just about put them on wrong when I changed them on my car :)

Hey all. I have a 1987 Subaru GL-10 Turbo. I have a few questions.

What makes the injectors fire? Is it the posistion sensor? And I believe my #3 cylinder is dead. IT wasn't before I resealed it. It has spark...so my guess is it's the injector. And how can I check to see if the injector is actually squirting? THanks all, it's been a long day.

[HTi]Johnson

The injectors fire via signal from the CAS (crank angle sensor or distribuitor) no there is no vacuum line going to or from it.

To see if the injector is actually squirting requires removing it, and usually shipping it to a place that specializes in cleaning injectors. You can have someone crank it while pointing it into a cup or something .... but I would really suggest that you DON'T try that b/c of the pressure the fuel is under.

Part of the FSM for a 1989 Subaru can be found at this website, it will give you better info than the Haynes, as 87s and 89s are virtually identical.

http://www.finleyweb.net/default.asp?id=142

1984 GL-10 Turbo

OK i fixed it. But now, it lugs around 4kRPM like power cut out. Could it be a clogged cat(s)? It back fires. I'm sorry for lack of information and details...I'm tired. I don't have an air filter on and it's timed at 8'BTDC. I can't go faster than 50mph in third. When it is nuetral I can rev it out with no probs. Is there any common probs with these turbos?

THanks [HTi]Johnson

Um, I think timing for these is supposed to be 20 degrees BTDC @ 700 rpms (MT), 800 rpms for (AT). I know that is what it is for 1989 turbos (checked FSM), but 1987 is very similar.

Given the symptoms, I think timing is your problem.

Good Luck!! Glad to hear it's almost done!!

I'm sorry for not stopping, but this car is giving me hell. I have it timed at 20'BTDC.

The problem:

Bad hesistation. When I first start it (Cold) it revs fine. Then it gets worse. I tried to move when it was cold. It started to move then it would lug and bounce and then once the turbo started to spool it would go to 4 grand and then cut and lug and bounce.

I thought it might be to much back pressure so I removed the exhaust from the turbo and tried.(I know the O2 sensor isn't there). It would do the same thing. Could it be a bad o2 sensor? I kinda thought it could be the fuel pump, I haven't check into it yet. Could it be the fact I don't have any type of air filter on the intake, it's just the MAF setup?

When it is up around 4 grand and I am trying to move, it backfires out the intake, not a lot, just every now and then...but I am pretty sure all the valve timing is on...Valve mark centered, Disty Side Cam gear mark up and passenger side down. :banghead:

Thanks for your time and help.

[HTi]Johnson

Did you have the green connectors beside the ECU connected when you set

the ignition timing?

Did you remember to unplug them when you were done?

Have changed the fuel filter recently?

Do you have the waste gate duty solenoid (located between the air box and the pass side strut) plumbed correctly?

What is supporting the MAF if you have no air box fitted? Or is just the element removed.

Make sure the hose from the turbo to the intake plenum (Al piece with "Subaru Turbo 4WD" on it) is clamped tightly. I have seen where this hose will lift off under boost and cause this type problem.

Sorry for all the questions, just attempting to help.

two posts back you call this a 1984 GL-10,

Do you want to fix this typo please.

An 84 has a different fuel system in reference to the mass air flow sensor.

Hey Justin.....

Call me ....That Engine Ran fine when I brought it Home....???

I say you still have timing issues.....Are you 100% sure you didn't get one of the belts a Tooth off when re-installing them.....??? it is very easy to do.......:(

Talk soon, John

I'll check the timing, again.:-\ Today I decided to look at the little LED in the MPFI box, it blinks 1 1 1 1 ::pause::: 1 1 1 1 . When the car isn't running. Then I turn it on and it pauses for a while...then starts blinking again same code. I fiugred that 1 1 1 1 means 4 so I checked the FSM and it said it specifies that it's a California AT car...or am I wrong?

THanks,

[HTi]Johnson

I think you are correct about the code.

After reading your posts a thought went through my mind but I didn't really want to say something you REALLY didn't want to hear. I hope I am wrong about this, but I think your idea of checking the timing again may be what needs to be done. It sounds to me that one or both of the cams may be a tooth off. Ok, I said it. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong.

I hope you are right. Because I am going to check it tomorrow. As for plug wires, I have an inline plug tester....i tested all the plugs...i got spark through the wires. But I'm going to change them anyways...once i get it running right. I'm going to try to stop posting about this damn car...sorry for the troubles.

[HTi]Johnson

Don't quit posting...this is how everyone learns the most about gremlins and Other odd issues with these cars....

Because that car started life as an Automatic, you have to go up under the dash and Plug a Test mode wire in to get old or stored code......

Is the stick in it yet, or is it still Auto....??

Let me know, John

I lied, I'm posting again. The timing is %100 on...I quadruple checked it today. I am starting to lean towards fuel cut issues. When I first start it, it idles at 1500rpm then suddenly decreases to a seizure....and then dies. THen i try to start it again... and it idles really low then dies...then i turn the key on off on off on off then start it and it idles at 1500 then dies, the same. When it is idling at 1500RPM and i give it gas...it bogs down, then when i release the throttle, it reuturns to 1500rpm then dies.

[HTi]JOhnson