Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Back from Iraq...now i got a question..

I searched the message board first..but it don't seem to be there.. i'm sure it's been discused/done.. and i can't find it..

But first... Hi (again) i'm David Carter (aka Bussaca) (err..military nick that stuck) I've actually been a member for quite some time.. but the board changed/moved while i was in Iraq for the past 19 months.. so some of you might remember me as the guy makeing all kinds of fiberglass hoods for early subaru's. Now don't worry if you don't remember anything comeing of those hoods, i did only a run of 90-91 Legacy hoods.. and it put me out of buissness..one my military career stopped me from promply rendering a product my many customers payed for... for over 2 years, and..2 it financially tapped me.. who knew it took 300+ dollars to send just one hood, and all i ever chaged anyone for S&H was 50 bones.. so.. Thats about it.. I'm 26, Single, Live in PA so let me know if anyone plans on going to the pines barrons in NJ for some mudding/sudo rally.. or goes to the rally park here in PA..

Ah..oh yes back to the question..

I have an 86 RX MT 1.8t 4wd.. I've had it for 3 years now and i've never had it running.. (seeing as i tore the engine appart as soon as i got it..and never been around to put it back together..now the motors all rusted) but i got a new motor from a reliable junkyard on 309, and i plan on getting it i good rally order.. Now i'm also into D1 Drift, down at english town raceway in NJ.. my legacy does a fair to crappy job of it (understeers a Bi$ch) and i'm seeing all these 1.8l RWD AE86 Corrola's having a good time, and i'm thinking my 1.8t should kick a bit more a$$.... What do i have to do about making the RX RWD?

I've seen a couple people just cut stumps out of old front axles and put it in Full time 4WD turning it essencially into RWD.( i can't spell, sorry).. but i would think that would be stressing the trannie a bit (not like D1 wouldn't be).

Is there a way to remove the front internal Diff.. or parts that actuate the front half of the car..?

Thanks for any help.

post-10304-13602759904_thumb.jpg

hmmmm, i don't know much about the FT 4wd boxes, but i don't think taking the front axles off will stress it more than it can handle - in some conditions much of hte power probably goes to the rear anyway (not sure how the split is controled - does it have a center diff lock?).

Personally, i'd be doing some fidlling to get it handling right in 4wd anyway. With some suspension adjustments/modifications (or not even) an rx should handle pretty well i should think..

I know FT4wd auto wagons dont have diff lock, but I think the Manual in Rx's do.. you'lll be fine.. take a junk front cv axle, and take the outer DOF off it, install it do you have an axle stub sticking through the front spindle and you'll be fine..

You WILL be replacing drivelines/ujoints though.. Soobies have *************** @ss unjoints/rear drivelines

Oh yea weld your rear diff..

funny how I typed w e a k and it made it **********************

welcome back (in one piece ;) )

You can do the axle trick you mentioned to drive in RWD. I don't know how well that will hold up in the long run (I don't know who may be running a full time RWD car or for how long they have been). I'm also under the impression that 86 RXes didn't have locking center differentials?

I do know that there have been major breakthroughs in converting to a rear E-brake. And there are suddenly a lot of people (including Yours Truly) swapping EJ22s from legacys or imprezas into their older subies. Both of those projects would erase much of the advantage the corollas have.

Also, if you convert to full time RWD, you could get a 4.11 rear differential from a newer legacy or impreza and use your 3.7 LSD to make a 4.11 LSD ... but I believe that the older stub axles are outties and the newer ones are innies, so I don't want to suggest that as something simple to do... just something to look into perhaps. this would work on a RWD'ed subie as the trans would still turn the front stub axles at 3.7 but they wouldn't be connected to wheels and it wouldn't hurt your drivetrain, I think. good luck!

I can't remember where I saw it, but I stumbled across a picture somewhere of a GL-10 sedan(right hand drive) drifting an uphill curve. I'll have to do some digging and see if I can find it again. Anyway, I would leave the tranny in 4WD mode and go at it. A couple of my friend's(Tyler & Eric), who just came back to the states from Okinawa, said that drifting a 4WD vehicle can be done, it just takes more skill to do it. They are big into drifting and D1 and are both building up drift machines(Eric has a '98 240SX[turbocharged], and Tyler is in the process of obtaining an older '91 240SX w/SR20DET swap). But both of them said that you know you are the stuff when you can drift a 4WD or AWD vehicle. It might be worth a shot to try and hone your skills at drifting a 4WD.

there has to be a way to weld something in the center diff though to lock the rear..

the 85-86 RX's had the part time 4WD (FWD, 4HI, 4LOW) just like the wagons, just didn't have the same low range gear.

there was no center diff to lock... essentially when you engage 4WD, you are locking into a spool.

I searched the message board first..but it don't seem to be there.. i'm sure it's been discused/done.. and i can't find it..

But first... Hi (again) i'm David Carter (aka Bussaca) (err..military nick that stuck) I've actually been a member for quite some time.. but the board changed/moved while i was in Iraq for the past 19 months.. so some of you might remember me as the guy makeing all kinds of fiberglass hoods for early subaru's. Now don't worry if you don't remember anything comeing of those hoods, i did only a run of 90-91 Legacy hoods.. and it put me out of buissness..one my military career stopped me from promply rendering a product my many customers payed for... for over 2 years, and..2 it financially tapped me.. who knew it took 300+ dollars to send just one hood, and all i ever chaged anyone for S&H was 50 bones.. so.. Thats about it.. I'm 26, Single, Live in PA so let me know if anyone plans on going to the pines barrons in NJ for some mudding/sudo rally.. or goes to the rally park here in PA..

Ah..oh yes back to the question..

I have an 86 RX MT 1.8t 4wd.. I've had it for 3 years now and i've never had it running.. (seeing as i tore the engine appart as soon as i got it..and never been around to put it back together..now the motors all rusted) but i got a new motor from a reliable junkyard on 309, and i plan on getting it i good rally order.. Now i'm also into D1 Drift, down at english town raceway in NJ.. my legacy does a fair to crappy job of it (understeers a Bi$ch) and i'm seeing all these 1.8l RWD AE86 Corrola's having a good time, and i'm thinking my 1.8t should kick a bit more a$$.... What do i have to do about making the RX RWD?

I've seen a couple people just cut stumps out of old front axles and put it in Full time 4WD turning it essencially into RWD.( i can't spell, sorry).. but i would think that would be stressing the trannie a bit (not like D1 wouldn't be).

Is there a way to remove the front internal Diff.. or parts that actuate the front half of the car..?

Thanks for any help.

Hey! Another person from PA who also serves our country! Many thanks. And I am all for Pine barrens or whatever. Look me up sometime. :)

Hey David

Welcome home and great thanks for your service, and welcome back to the USMB. Your Subaru reputation precedes you somewhat… I recently saw one of your hoods for sale, looks like a very nice piece.

david_carter_hood.jpg

Like others have said, I think your best bet for RWD is a part time 4WD tranny (your ’86 should have one) with the front axles pulled, then its just a matter of how long it will hold together.

Gary

Welcome back, I remember seeing your handle around here before. Did anyone else realize this is an RX we're talking about? Wouldn't it be nicer to see it not get beaten up by the rigors of what is essentially racing?

There was a post awhile back with an EA-82 wagon that had been converted with a WRX engine and rear wheel drive. That would be a nice drift machine!

Thanks everyone.

i'm gonna give it a shot, it seems the general consensous is the same so it's gotta at least work for a bit right :)

What do you mean weld my diff? to the frame? or the internals in some way?

Other than that..Gary where did you see my hood for sale?

Thank you again.. i will try and post some more pictures/info as i do more.

David Carter