Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what tools do you need to install byb 3in lift?

A DOG

This is easily a DIY project.

Right off Brett's website:

http://www.thebackyardboys.com/

• Solid jack capable of lifting the wheels 5 inches from the ground.
  • Car body stands… 2 minimum
  • Wheel brace ……19mm for standard wheel nuts/lugs
  • Sockets in sizes 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 21mm
  • Spanners/wrenches in the same sizes.
  • Hacksaw/ tin snips
  • Hammer
  • Screwdrivers, 1 of each sort,(flat, star)
  • Multigrips or pliers.
  • Angle grinder for Air-conditioned vehicles
  • Block of wood for cars with A/C. (3x2 about 200mm or 8 inches long)
  • Grease, oil, etc.

Comes with directions. The ones I got were more like a list of hints on the grand adventure of Subaru lifting; hopefully they have been updated since. At first it kinda pissed me off but hey it wouldn't be a Subaru adventure if it was all spelled out for you and easy to do right? :grin:

A scissors-type jack is highly useful. Use it to lift under the rear hubs while installing the bushings in the front part of the rear subframe (you'll see) Also it can be used between the body and bump stop pad on the rear trailing arms to help align the "horse shoe" for mounting to the body (again....you'll see).

A BIG pipe. Used for prying the front control arms down far enough to get the bottoms of the struts back into the steering knuckles (once again....well, you know)

One more thing... on my instructions (about 2 years old) it didnt say to use a BFH to bang back the front wheel wells where the struts sit. Well you need to hit them slightly (toward the engine) so that the springs dont rub. Some people told me thats common knowledge, but I didnt know it then so I guess its not common enough. Other than that the instructions are very good and maybe that tidbit has been added now.

Here are some Legacy lift solutions for ya :)

• Brett lists a 2" and 3" lift kit for Liberty (read: Legacy) Impreza and Forester.
  • You could have one custom built by several different people right here on the USMB.
  • Scorpion makes a '2" lift kit' for EJ series.

Here are some Legacy lift solutions for ya :)

• Brett lists a 2" and 3" lift kit for Liberty (read: Legacy) Impreza and Forester.
  • You could have one custom built by several different people right here on the USMB.
  • Scorpion makes a '2" lift kit' for EJ series.

I'll wait for a P.K. Davis model - tried and true, made in the U.S.

You'll be waiting for a while. He's not gonna be distributing the EJ kits. Too spendy, plus they involve a spendy OB/Forester strut swap. The stock struts won't allow anything bigger than a 185/70/14 for a tire.

You'll have to talk to Mudrat about EJ lifts.

I'll wait for a P.K. Davis model - tried and true, made in the U.S.

It's the same kit :) Ozified lift is the BYB lift. As Zapar noted waiting isnt an option :( That kinda sucks but I understand why. I dunno if Brett would even send over a Legacy kit really. You'd have to ask him to find out.

Might just have to go custom !_!

It's the same kit :) Ozified lift is the BYB lift. As Zapar noted waiting isnt an option :( That kinda sucks but I understand why. I dunno if Brett would even send over a Legacy kit really. You'd have to ask him to find out.

Might just have to go custom !_!

If you go to Brett's http://www.ausubaru.com/ausubaru/html/modules.php?name=Forums site, you'll find a bunch of posts from folks upset about Brett not responding to their emails. You may have a loooooooonnnnngggg wait if you wanna go with an original BYB kit from Brett.

It also appears that if you question him or his reliablilty, they'll quickly ban you.

You'll be waiting for a while. He's not gonna be distributing the EJ kits. Too spendy, plus they involve a spendy OB/Forester strut swap. The stock struts won't allow anything bigger than a 185/70/14 for a tire.

on my 92 leg i could have sworn that i had 195/75/14s on it but then of course it was acouple yrs ago so bad memory could have kicked in