Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Boken Key!!!

I did a very stupid thing the other day. I broke my key in to two pieces. Not that bad hey just get the spare right? Well If I wasn't a total moron I would have a spare but I am lazy and didn't get around to making one. In the Owners manual it says something about a Key number Is that the 4 digit number on the key under the Subaru logo? If I take this number and the broken key and maybe my title to the Subaru dealer will they be able to make me a key or will it have to be ordered. I am going to try and solder it back together and make a copy but i am not sure if that will work. Any other suggestions.

If you have the key number, a dealership can make you copies. When I bought my '92, it only came with a single, worn-out key that didn't work too well. The dealership cut me a new one that works fantastic. Just took the number off the old key and made a new one from somewhere in the back of their shop.

Of course, this won't help if all your keys are all copies without the key number on them, and the owner didn't write the key number anywhere.

Is the key number a 4 didget number. The key is a subaru key. And under the logo it has a 4 didget number is that the right one?

Thanks

I assume you are looking at the master key? if so, then yes, it is correct - according to my owner's manual (1985) the key number is only on the master key - Don't have mine with me (it broke in half, so I don't carry it), so I don't know how many digets it is, but four sounds about right.

BTW - does anyone know if you can still get master keys from the dealership with the keylight in them? I would be interested in that if I could (and the price was reasonable) - Thanks

If that fails I think you can have a locksmith come out and "key" the car for you. A friend of mine that deals in junk cars just had this done to an '85 Supra he bought a few days ago. The car had no keys and I think it cost him about $50 to get the key made, since the car was in good shape and had a clear title and free, it was worth it.

I work at Home Depot and people come in with broken keys every day, usualy we can either clamp it together or with the automated mechiene you just puch the broken part in with the handle portion of the key. Point is if you go to any place that cuts keys they deal with this once or twice a week so its no big deal.

How old is the car? Your locks are prolly worn enough that ANY subaru key will work. That's how I get Dustyrider's tools outa his hatch when he's not around.:)

The 4 Numbers on the key can also be found on the passenger side door lock. It is kinda a pain to pull out but it will save you a bundle, if you can take it to the Locksmith.

If you want someone to give it a try at a retail chain you might have luck. Or you may return home after a 40 Minute Fiasco only to find that your new key either does not work, works poorly, or works on the door but not the ignition....etc..

I personally would not waste my time with anyone other than the Subaru Dealership or an actual Locksmith. You need someone with a Code Reader. Dealerships often call our Locksmith to make keys for them. He takes those 4 Numbers and punches them into his computer with high dollar Locksmith Software and it spits out a code. He then types the code in his Code Reader, which tells the machine when and how deep to cut. Works like a charm everytime.

Hope this helps