Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm bummed (tire thing)

ezapar

I went to try to buy some 195/75/14 Cooper Discoverer STTs, and it turns out they're discontiued. They don't make them in 14s anymore. Anybody sitting on a set they don't want? If not, I'm gonna have to find something else for the imp.

Don't want anything bigger than a 205/75/14, cuz I want the torque for Rally X.

Hey man sorry I didn't call last night. I wasn't able to get over to measure the tires after all. Anyhow, this morning I got to thinking that the current Kuhmo tires might be different than my six or seven year old tires, so you'd probably want to mount one and measure it before buying the whole set.

There are two local shops here that have multiple sets in stock. American tire in Anchorage and Denali Tire in Wasilla have what you need. Maybe you can get the local shop to swing a deal for you as a "prefered" customer. If they want to make a sale they should be able to either give you a good enough discount to offset the shipping, or eat the shipping to make the sale. My price, across the counter, on a set (no discount other than cash) is $300 installed and balanced.

hey northguy, will you do me a favor and give a number to those shops?i am looking for 5 215/75/15 cooper stt's...to come to spokane washington......thanks,brian

American Tire in Anchorage is (907) 336-7878 or (907) 276-7878

The other place is now called Diversified Tire in Wasilla (907) 376-2700

Were you able to find a set of Kumho's in 14" rimsize? I couldnt when I bought my coopers. My coopers are now worn and I was looking for a replacement set, and was sad to find the 205/75R14 STT's discontinued :( Im still going to call around to local cooper dealers and find out if anyone has a set collecting dust. Thats how I found my original set of STT's and the tire shop was happy to give me a deal just to get them out of his storage.

-Brian

Were you able to find a set of Kumho's in 14" rimsize?

-Brian

Yeah, the good ol' 27/8.50/14s. I called Kumho before I ordered them, the lady claimed they have LOTS of them in stock. Had to wrestle with Discount Tire over the price, but wound up with a set of 4 for $400.38 after shipping, install, and tax.

My good buddy at the Cooper store called around and said that the 14s were discontinued. I couldn't find any listing at all for them on their website. . .

I considered these for the Hatch.I didnt like the shipping idea too much.

so i went with the coopers in town.

I want to know what you think of these tires cause even with shipping the price is pretty hard to beat? (not going to need tires for awhile but its good to know with coopers out of the 14" biz)

It's in the write up. :)http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24979&highlight=offroad+tire+write

#4 Kumho Venture MT 26/8.50/14 radial (mine had the name Marshall on them, but were the same tire)

Off road *** On road *** Tread life ***** Price**

I got mine after my Father had used them for 2 years on his Chevy S10. Tread life is awesome. The tread is sufficiently spaced to throw mud quite well. They do well in any conditon, but do not excell in any.

On road, they are measurably louder than the Coopers, but do not compare with the drone of the bias TSLs.

Decent tire to be had at a decent price.

Here's a photo of them on my unlfted 80 hatch. http://community.webshots.com/photo/37919799/60787825kfCkrs

Mike W has had them on his hatch for 5 years or so, they still live after all he's put them thru. I dig them, but they're just a weee bit bigger than I wanted for the OBS. Smaller means more torque for more speed in Rally X. But the Kumhos will make up with their better traction. :D

I'm psyched to take the OBS down 311 next time I go to Evans Creek! I almost did it last time I was there, but chickened out cuz I didn't have any faith in the Hakkis on the rocks. 6 ply will make me way more fearless.